Monday 26 March 2012

The... jewels?

But first...

I realised this morning that I don't know how to operate my car's fog lamps. Huff the Car has fog lamps, all right, and I thought I might have to use them (turns out I didn't, but I didn't know that for sure when I left the apartment), but I've never turned them on. I don't even know the symbol for fog lamps.

I've never even turned the car's headlights on, for that matter. It does that by itself. I suppose I should look up how to do things manually in case I ever have to, though. Yeah, I probably should.

Never in a million years did I ever think I'd not know how to turn a car's lights on...

----------

Anyway. Jewels, or lack of same. The other week I ended up buying... wait a minute. That almost sounds accidental. I didn't accidentally buy anything. The other week I chose to buy a few pendants from the Rock and Gem show here at the nature centre. I don't usually buy things like that for myself, so I guess we can call it a treat. Getting the pendants (and trying in vain to find some suitable chains amongst my mutt of a stash. I'll probably ending up buying something to the purpose eventually, but what I have on them will do for now) reminded me that I have a photo inventory of my jewellery box that I was going to share with you at some point in lieu of other topics.

In lieu of other topics. I should have just used that as the name for the blog, really.

I'll get around to taking photos of the offending pendants later, I imagine, but for now, let's start on a trip through my lack of valuables. And I'm not kidding there. You know those commercials where they offer to buy your "unwanted" gold? Mine probably wouldn't amount to cab fare even at today's gold prices. A look at the jewellery can still provide a little bit of interest, though, don't you think? Always amusing to see what people acquire and what weird things they stash away. And since my jewellery case is sort of like archaeology in that you can go down by layers to find out things about the society of the time (or at least it was. To be honest, I used the picture-taking as an excuse to clean the thing out, finally, so not all of the junk that you'll find is still with me), you'll be seeing the jewellery habits of me since I was a teenager back in the dark, junky age of the 80s. And before that, even.

Ready, then? We're starting off slowly, since the stuff you're seeing above is not in the jewellery case but in assorted boxes beside the main box. Not necessarily the stuff that didn't make the main cut, however. Along with the cheap heart pendant, the goofy Christmas earrings, and the arm bands (for holding back too-long shirt sleeves. I don't really have a need of them now, but they're still around), are the crystal set I wore for my high school graduation, a Swarovski pendant my uncle bought me, a blue topaz pendant that belonged to my grandmother, and a set of freshwater pearls that my brother and I bought for my mother. Before she died, obviously. It would have been weird otherwise.

And why aren't they in the main box? Two reasons. I occasionally wear one or two of those things so I like to keep them where they're easier to find. Also, they wouldn't fit.

The also part is probably the biggest reason.

Coming up next? Well, we'll see. And I'm not planning to do this every day, just in case you were wondering if this was going to become the Blog Of Costume Jewels. It'll just depend on whether I have other thoughts for a particular post is all.



Isn't this exciting, boys and girls?





Yeah, I thought so too...

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

This is my third attempt. If these comments become any harder to put here. I am gone. I have my Dad's wedding band with the date inscribed. A treasure for me. Nice to see I really was legit. I like old things passed down in a family. I also love thrift and antique shops.

Related Posts with Thumbnails