Thursday 1 March 2012

Eggs

Today's pointless photo is not of an egg. It's a creepy fish head.

Not a roly-poly one, though.

----------

I don't have a lot to say today because I actually brought something to eat for a change and therefore spent my lunch hour having lunch (novel concept). I did, however, have something I wanted to say about eggs.

I guess I'm a little fussy about how I like my eggs. Not too fussy, really, but when I watch Food Network and see people gushing about being served whatever with a "lightly poached" (in my world, "mostly raw") egg on top and how it's so great to mix the MOSTLY RAW yolk in with the whatever... yeah, kind of squicks me.

First off, do people really like the texture of poached eggs? I think it's possibly the worst way to ever cook an egg, but apparently I'm in the minority. I've never poached an egg, because when I was a kid and my mother served poached eggs for breakfast it seemed like a peculiar form of punishment rather than a meal. Like I said, it's a texture thing. Especially with the white. I'll admit that to me the egg white is really only there to make you appreciate the yolk more, and to have that white poached?

Ick.

So how do you like your eggs, then, Dee? Well, if boiled, hard. I'm no three-minute egg person, for sure. Not so hard that it'll bounce, but not soft by a long shot.

If fried? Over easy. And if there's a tiiiny bit of runniness to the yolk -- even though that still means raw -- I'll live. Only a tiny bit, though. And I prefer it made in a non-stick pan, because I don't like them greasy.

Get a feeling it would be hard to do breakfast with me at a diner?

As far as scrambled... well, I make good scrambled eggs. I'm not even going to say if I do say so myself, because I know I make good scrambled eggs. The secret? Add stuff. Ham, if it's available, cheese always, milk of course, and (AND HERE'S MY BIG SECRET!!!) dry mustard and worcestershire sauce.

Yeah, that's right. My scrambled eggs are the best because they're first cousins with a Welsh Rarebit.

And don't knock it 'til you've tried it. It's reeeally good, even though the worcestershire sauce tends to give everything a bit of a weird colour.

It's easy to get over.





And it's not mostly raw.

And now I have to get back to work. I hope everyone noticed the complete lack of egg puns in this post. It was almost physically painful to omit them, but I just proved to myself that I can do it if I have to.

I'm that strong.

Because I eat my eggs.

As long as they're not mostly raw.

Or poached.



Ick.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails