Wednesday 28 March 2012

Nerd detector

Today's pointless photo is, of course, not a nerd detector. It's a wind spinner. I was just trying to save you folks another jewellery box photo for a day or so.

You're welcome.

I had to do some shopping for work this morning (and let me tell you, it's hard to be in an art/craft store when I'm not shopping for me. The art supplies calllll...), and because I knew that I was going to be making a few stops I decided to take my toy along with me.

Your toy, Dee?

Yep. My toy. Some of you may remember that my father spoiled me with a 3DS last Christmas. He was also the one who bought me a DSi for my 40th birthday. That was quite the experience for someone who'd never really been a gamer, but there are enough puzzle and logic-style games available that even this incredibly uncoordinated lefty found it entertaining. Well, when Nintendo reduced the price of the 3DS before Christmas, Dad decided that I may as well upgrade.

Let me tell you, that thing was completely misadvertised. I mean, sure. It makes sense to advertise the 3D aspect when you're trying to sell a machine with 3D capabilities, but if they'd concentrated more on the fact that this particular toy does sooo many more things than the DSi I think that their sales would have been much better initially. I benefited from the fact that they ended up dropping the price tag so I can't complain, but I'm just saying that the marketing department sort of dropped the ball there.

So what can it do? Oh, I'll just leave you to read what they have to say about it, although it amuses me a bit that they apparently haven't updated the page since the 3DS was released last year. For our purposes today, though, only two features really matter.

First off, and I actually find this sort of funny, it has a pedometer. The idea is that you're supposed to take the thing with you so that you can earn "coins" as you walk. The coins are used in certain games. The problem with this is that if I happen to be playing one of those games and don't feel like taking my toy for a walk, I'll just sit there and shake it for a while. Certainly not what they had in mind, I'm sure.

The other feature that's sort of connected with taking your toy with you everywhere you go is Streetpass. The 3DS, you see, has its own social life. If you take it with you and it senses another 3DS somewhere nearby, they exchange information. Mii characters, latest game played, that sort of thing. The next time you open it up you have little green indicator spots on the games or applications that have found new friends.

I just think of it as the nerd detector.

If I take the toy for a walk and find the green Streetpass light on when I get home, I know that I've found a nerd.

No offence to the nerds, naturally, since obviously I'm walking around being nerdy as well. Although in my defence, I don't take my toy out for a walk all that often.



So did my toy find any new nerd friends today? Apparently so, because it seems I have a new challenger on Mario Kart 7. Which, by the way, is the closest I get to any sort of action game, what with my reflexes and all. I'm fair to middling at it, which at my speed means I'm EFFING EXCELLENT.

Or at least I have fun, which after all is the point of the thing.

And I found a new nerd, so it's all good.





Back to the nature side of nerdy now.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails