Sunday 11 October 2009

smnrgl

Sorry. I'm so lacking in inspiration that I couldn't even think of a post title.

Well, ok. What can I blather about before I have to go start punching holes in cat food cans? Um, empty cat food cans, that would be. And why would I have to punch holes in empty cat food cans? Oh, because certain people need to realise that when they book programs that involve making bird feeders from recycled material there has to be enough of the recycled material for all twenty-five kids in the group to work with. Cat food cans was all I could think of on relatively short notice. And if you think I'm happy at the prospect of punching holes in twenty-five or more cat food cans, you'd... not exactly be right.

Anyway. That still leaves me blatherless.

I suppose I could tell you the story of today's photo, such as it is. I came upstairs yesterday (keep in mind that I'm currently at the father figure's house) to find this spider in a plastic container. Assuming that it hadn't delivered itself to me that way, I asked my father about it. He told me that he'd found her (yes, it's a she) scooting along the ground the other day and decided to save her for his arachnophilic daughter. Then he forgot the container outside, and we've since had winter show up (I've mentioned that, I think). When he remembered it yesterday he figured the spider had frozen to death but brought her in anyway so that I could see it.

By the time I noticed the container the very-much-not-dead spider was not looking too thrilled to be living in plastic.

So, what to do with a very-much-not-dead spider in a plastic container when the temperature is below freezing? Take her picture, of course, and then put her outside.

That last part sounds kind of cruel, doesn't it?

With a bit of luck it might not be. I put her down in some leaf litter for shelter, and she did manage to get down deeper into it before the air temperature slowed her down completely. She might make it through to our thaw that's supposed to be coming next week (which, honestly? I'll believe it when I see it).

In the end she'll die before winter anyway. She's a Jewelled Araneus, and if she hasn't already laid her eggs for overwintering she's getting pretty darn late for it.

Had to give her a chance, at least.

Later that same day I found a Wolf Spider in the downstairs bathroom. Didn't take its picture, though.






And yes, I do realise that no one cares. I do, though. And after all, it is my blog.

My house, my rules, as they say.

----------

Just in case I'm not around the computer tomorrow, I'll say happy Thanksgiving to everyone now. Here's hoping that your turkey/ham/tofu surprise is everything you'd hoped it would be...

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

Of course I care. i even wrote a poem about spiders. I am more into those that make intricate webs, not the spiders themselves. I have never been able to get excited about spiders, snakes or ticks. Flea's are cool but then you remember they spread the plague and that ruins it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails