Tuesday 18 January 2011

Knitted hat or something

Ok, I'm kind of in the middle of a work thing so this'll be short. I hope.

Why is it that of all the English-speaking countries that suffer through an extended winter, Canada seems to be (and note that I say SEEMS to be. If I'm wrong, tell me. I like learning new things) the only one that has a single word for knit hat/knit cap/ski cap/snow hat/whatever else? I mean, sure. We borrowed the word toque from French, where it signifies something a bit different, but that part doesn't matter. It's the having a single word that does. When you live in a place where a toque is necessary so much of the time, why would you want to waste so many words naming it?

Oh, and please note that I'm aware of the fact that some areas use beanie when referring to a knit cap. I've never seen it used as universally as toque is in Canada, though, so I'm not sure if it really changes my initial assertion.

Um, so there. I guess.

I need to get back to work now.





Bye then.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails