Sunday 9 January 2011

Weird things I do sometimes

I admit it -- there are definitely weird things that I do. Everybody does weird things, of course. Might not seem weird to the person doing them, but they'd appear weird to just about anyone else. Me? I'm proud of my weird things, for the most part. They make me less boring to myself.

To myself, yes. I'm honestly not overly concerned about whether they make me less boring to anyone else.

Now, some of my weird things are decidedly -- if mildly -- OCD. Making sure my towels are used in the proper rotation, for example. I know it doesn't have to happen and I don't freak out if it doesn't, but I'm happier if it does. My fondness for pattern also probably fits into that category. Pattern gives the OLF brain that aha! moment that keeps it interested and gets around the short attention span for a little while.

The particular weirdness I'm going to warn you about today, though, has to do with the pointless photography.

My two fans already know that I consider pretty much all of the photos that appear on the blog to be disposable. And really, they are. You're not going to find much here that you're going to want to download and hang on your wall. And if you do? Well, let's just say that if I was concerned about the use of my photography I wouldn't be putting it on the internet. Or at the very least I'd be watermarking it. I spend a lot of time trying to make my autofocus camera take pictures of things that its sensor thinks it can't see, yes, but a great deal of that is the challenge of trying to get an intelligible photo in a situation where I really shouldn't be able to. Results are nice, but not always necessary.

Plus, I like taking pictures of spiders. That's, um, another topic for another day, however.

Would I like a fancy SLR camera that I could do more with? Some days, yes. But even if I had one I'd probably still find myself out in the garden trying out "artistic" (read: odd) angles with my trusty Lumix. Which, by the way, is a pretty good little camera considering the number of years it's been on the go now.

So having said that the quality or expense of the equipment probably wouldn't affect the weirdness of the photos you find here on the blog, let me explain today's shot (which, incidentally, is the closest I've ever come to a self-portrait in a post. That's me all right. And probably the most of me you'll ever get). I have a DSi. That's right -- I'm one of those people completely outside the demographic that Nintendo targeted very successfully, and I have a handheld gaming system. It was a gift, but it wasn't an unwanted gift. I like my DSi. I can do fun things with it.

Including taking fairly pointless photos.

Like the one above.

It has two cameras, you see. They're... well, I suppose they're comparable to low-end phone cameras. It's possible to take a recognisable picture with the DSi, yes, but I don't think you'd ever want to use DSi photos for anything more than, say, a wallpaper on the aforementioned DSi. Not super quality, in other words.

Which, naturally, has led me to start messing around with them. Taking pictures in low light levels (yes, like the one above. I think I took it by television light if I'm remembering properly). Using the impossible-for-lefties LED flash kit that I picked up for it at a liquidators a while back. Messing with the goofy filter software that's included with the thing. These are photos in the upper echelon of pointlessness, and they were never intended to be anywhere that anyone else would see them.

I uploaded them to my nerdstick on a whim this morning.

Yep.

Photography on this blog may just be getting a lot weirder.

Maybe.

Or you may just see multiple pictures of Max the cat, who sometimes "helps" when I'm playing games. We'll see what mood I'm in.

Don't worry, though. I'm not about to abandon my usual pointless photography routine in favour of taking cheesy pictures of the cat with my toy. I just thought I'd let you know that the cheesier of the photos that may appear now and then in the future are absolutely intended to be as cheesy as possible.

Mmm. Cheese.





I think I need to go have lunch now.

2 comments:

Sparroweye said...

Best camera, my Lumix DMZ fz20 10 x zoom. With the flower feature and a bit of a blind of bushes, I got the best hummingbird photo of my entire life. I could see detail on his feathers. Then after I got cancer, my son the professional photographer bought me a Canon Rebel. I have yet to read the entire book or change the lighting, or speed or anything. I"m a point and shoot gal. I feel bad. He spent a lot. I will say, it brings a hawk far away in close. But you have to keep changing the lens. And each one cost sometimes more than the camera itself. I wanted one of those hand held games after my grandson got one. He can even connect with other gamers. And watch stuff on it. Sigh. I am such a kid. You should have seen this polaroid picture I took of my mother about a year before her death. It was covered, literally with blasts of light. As if little light angels were all over her, around her, covering her face. etc. I wanted to keep it, it was so cool. She got scared and ripped it up. I believe..... I also want a camera and microscope to take pictures of snowflakes but that's never going to happen unless I win the lottery. My son said that set up costs too much. I also want that camera that takes pictures of the light in plants. Or whatever its called.

Ces Adorio said...

Oh I take photos of clouds and yes, I am a member of the Cloud Appreciation Society. Seriously there is such a club. I have a Cannon XSI the one intended for sports photography but since the only moving things I photograph are plants and clouds, there is no point taking bursts of 10 shots. So I end up using my autofocus pocket camera. And I just got another one! A 16MP Fiji. It is my service award gift for working in my company for 25 years. Yes! I am so happy. I can't wait for my 30th service award gift. It might be a chainsaw! Anyway, the first photo I took with my new 16MP camera is of a tomato!

Related Posts with Thumbnails