Monday 17 October 2011

Asparagus tree

I'd be willing to bet that this is one of the only asparagus tree posts on the entire internet. And it will be about the asparagus tree.

It probably won't be very interesting, but it'll be about the asparagus tree.

Today's pointless photo is of my father's asparagus tree.Not the greatest picture, true, but I wanted to make sure that I had a shot of it before it completely goes limp with the frost.

In case anyone's wondering, that's a pretty average sized sunflower next to the asparagus tree. That should give you a sense of scale, at least.

So what's an asparagus tree? Oh, it's just happy asparagus, that's all.

You see, my dad doesn't care for asparagus too much. The asparagus was planted when my mother was still alive, and it's just basically been there since. When Mom was around it wasn't producing more than enough for just a taste or too, but in recent years? It's kind of got ridiculous. Just like the rhubarb.

Hang on. Let me see if I can find the rhubarb. I didn't take a picture of it this year, but I know I posted one of last year's rhubarb tree... Ok, here it is. And it looked much the same this year until Dad hacked it down.

So what's with the killer rhubarb and the asparagus tree? Well, we've had a couple of unusually wet years in a row, and that plus the age of the plants has given them the opportunity of establishing really, really good root systems, apparently. As a result they're both very vigorous growers now, and since they don't get used as fast as they grow you end up with inadvertent trees.

Um... the end?

I told you that this wouldn't be very interesting, didn't I? Looks like I was right, then. Ah well. I'll try for interesting tomorrow.



I won't succeed, but I'll try...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photo. I was wondering what an asparagus tree would look like.

Jay said...

I cant abide asparagus but the last owner of our garden did and now I let it sprout up every year at the back of the border so it looks pretty much like your dads. Much more palatable to the eye than the stomach. Good photo :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails