Saturday 29 October 2011

Pants

Excuse me for getting a rather juvenile giggle out of the fact that my North American readers will be getting a fairly different idea from today's post title than my UK readers are.

Yeah. I'm a five-year-old.

Oh, and new photos (believe it or not) will actually be showing up soon. Assuming that anything on the camera is worth editing, of course.

Anyway. Pants. Yes, I really do want to talk pants. It'll be starting with the trouser variety, but we'll see where it goes from there.

I've been a bit lacking in clothing lately. I won't go into the bra situation (you're welcome), but my last pair of jeans gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and since I've been too lazy to shop I've been largely existing on a couple of pairs of twills. I of course knew that couldn't go on indefinitely (no one can live on light colours alone) and had been planning to get something else... but then I got a car instead.

I might have mentioned the car.

Now, I'm not saying that car payments are going to preclude me from dressing myself. It's just that the part about knowing that I have the car payments makes me a little less excited to be spending money on other things. Not that I ever get excited about spending money on clothes (or shoes. I so don't get that whole every woman loves shoes thing. I need shoes that I'm capable of walking in -- not always the easiest thing with my ankle -- and that work ok for the things that I do in my job. That's it. Oh, and something I can wear all winter without falling flat on my arse in the snow, naturally), but I'm incredibly less excited right now.

Cut to me thinking yet again about cleaning out my closet.

I've been in the same crappy one-room apartment for yeeears now, and while I'm definitely not a hoarder I'll admit to losing track of exactly what I have in it now and then. I think that's human nature, isn't it? You stay in one place for a while, and your stuff tends to build up a bit. Anyway, recently I gained a couple of new appliances (long story, but no doubt I'll tell it at some point), and it's led to the chain reaction where can I put this? effect. I could put this here if I moved this here, but then I'd have to move this here, and where am I going to put this? Ah, the fun of a small living space.

While looking for the next here, it occurred to me that a lot of this could be solved if I'd finally get around to cleaning out some old clothes. I do it every once in a while... all right, honesty time. I do it every few years whether it kills me or not, so by now the layer of clothes that I don't or can't wear anymore is getting a little thick. Ok. Clothes, then. Start with the main closet even though it's the linen shelves (read: everything shelves. Small apartment, remember?) that really need doing. Dig to the back where it's hard to reach because of the weird angle created by the tacky folding door. That's where all the unusable stuff seems to migrate to. Find... eight pairs of pants on two organiser-style hangers that you sort of forgot you had. Sigh at the waste because even though you kind of need them now, it's more than likely none of them fit anymore. Whomever knows how long they've been there, right? Look at the size tags before bagging them for the Sally Ann. Find... hey. That might fit. Unexpectedly spend a few minutes trying on various forgotten trousers. Realise that three pairs actually fit pretty well, and another couple would do in a pinch.

Consider yourself a complete and utter moron for burying completely serviceable clothing.

Oh, and for the fashionistas among my two fans (are there any? If so, why are you following me?) who are now cringing at the idea of my wearing pants that are years out of date? Denims, mostly. Dark denims, and a couple of pairs of black dress pants. I guess not being trendy has the benefit of buying "classics" instead, since you could easily find the exact same styles out there right now.

Now if I could only have the same luck with bras...

----------

Now, back to the whole pants thing. Being from Canada I have no problem with using pants and trousers interchangeably. However, having gained some of my vocabulary from my English grandmother (she was my babysitter when my mother went back to work before my brother was born. I'm sure that I learned a fair amount of my English from her even though I was much too young to realise it at the time. Babies are language sponges, after all), I'm fully aware that I wouldn't find myself wearing denim pants in England. Fairly uncomfortable, that. For any of my two fans who aren't with me yet, pants aren't... exactly outerwear... ok, think underpants if you're still not with me.

When I had my children's choir years ago I occasionally had to send home notes to the parents reminding them of what the kids had to wear for concert attire, and being aware that several of the families had come from the UK I always made a point of stating black trousers instead of black pants to avoid any confusion (or, to be honest, inadvertent amusement). Things were fine until the day I had one of the other parents pull me aside and ask what kind of special pants her son was supposed to wear. Seems my use of trousers instead of pants had her thinking that I was looking for some sort of uppity tuxedo wear or something.

Which, to confuse matters even more, would have been evening dress to the UK parents.





Sometimes I really feel like an English-to-English translating dictionary, you know?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails