Sunday 2 October 2011

In cars

Today's pointless photo is not of cars, just so you know. It's of sunflower heads that have been scavenged by the chickadees. Since I chose the title I did, though, let's all take a moment for a technopop break...

Ok then. On to business. And I hope that I can keep this reasonably short because I was extremely wordy on both blogs yesterday. These things cost money, you know.

Well, all right, so they don't. I'll try to keep it short anyway.

I test-drove a car yesterday. It was a convenient thing to do, really, because one of the car companies (sorry boys, no free advertising) has a deal where, if your local dealership applies, they have a day where test-driving a car benefits a charity. In this case it was one of the schools in the town where I grew up, so Dad and I went down to the event and test-drove a car.

It was a convenient thing to do, did I mention? That's because I'm currently looking for a car.

Sigh.

Dirty Moe's not dead; don't worry about that. He's just getting on a bit and has had a couple of weird little things start happening. That's the kind of thing that leads to bigger weird things as a car gets older, so I decided that maybe it was time to ditch Dirty Moe before winter hits and the weird things start causing me worries. There's a problem with all of this, though.

I hate cars.

Well, maybe it's not quite hate. It's more that I only drive because I have to, I'm more or less indifferent when it comes to cars as long as they're working, and now I have to try to figure out what kind of car I should buy. This is going to suck.

It also sucks because I've been used to driving the same car for the last ten years or so, and I'm used to driving without a passenger. The idea of test-driving strange cars with an audience (an audience of one is still an audience, after all) makes me decidedly uneasy. So much so that yesterday I made Dad drive. Oh, I got brave enough to switch with him once we got on the road (even though the salesman was in the back seat. Um, yay me? I guess), but I sooo completely didn't want to drive that car when we first got down there.

Doesn't bode well for car shopping in general, does it?

Ah well. I did, after all, manage to get my olf self to do some driving in the end, and I didn't die either of nerves or embarrassment. That's breaking the ice, right? Geez, I hope so.

Anyway. I have a idea of things that I want, so that'll help. Nothing too big, preferably four-door just because it's easier to get out in small spaces, decent mileage, decent in snow (kind of a given in this country), reliable, not yellow... Um, that's about it, I guess. I'm easy to please, aren't I? I certainly hope so. The budget may not be quite so easy to please, but I guess I'll deal with that as I have to.




Cars. Bah. Who'd have 'em, anyway?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails