Saturday 1 October 2011

Chapter 1433: Wherein Dee tries to figure out what to post while waiting for a wash to dry

I'm so not cut out for painting.It doesn't help that I have the brush skills of a five-year-old, of course, but even worse than that is the waiting. Waiting for things to dry. And waiting.

And then maybe some waiting.

It doesn't help that I'm playing around with something a little different than my usual today. Read that as: I have no bloody idea what I'm doing. It'll probably end up looking exactly like that, too. Ah well. No one says I have to post it if that's the case, right?

It'll be the case either way, sadly.

So. While we wait... I suppose we could enjoy the daylily? No daylilies at the moment, unfortunately. We're well past flowers here at this point. I took some new, depressingly fall, photos last night but I haven't had a chance to take them off the camera yet. I'm not expecting much, because it was just dusky enough that the camera thought everything needed a flash. Best I'm hoping for is slightly weird, to be honest, but I guess we'll see.

Now, about a post topic. Anyone have one?

Oh, wait. Maybe I actually do. How about charity mail?

I don't get a lot of gimme letters in the mail overall, mostly because I don't have a lot of money to donate. I pay pretty close attention to the ones I do get, though, and I often wonder what some of these non-profits are thinking that we'd like done with our donations. Personally, if I donate to something I'd like to see as much money as possible go to the actual something I've donated to. I know that there are always going to be administration costs and things like that involved, but I have a great deal of respect for outfits that do all they can to make sure that the percentages of money going straight to the cause are high. You're much more likely to get my attention, ironically, if it's obvious that you've done the respectable minimum you had to do to get my attention.

And on the other hand?

On the other hand is the example of unsolicited mail that I got the other day. Note that I say unsolicited. This is a charity that I've never donated to, have never had contact with before, and had only peripherally ever heard of. Should I be impressed that they (and I won't say who the they is. Sadly, there are enough non-profits doing stupid things like this that it could apply to at least a dozen), without my asking for it, sent me a complete Christmas package of a dozen Christmas cards, two note pads, a pen, a gift bag, package labels, and envelope stickers? The postage bill alone must have been something to see, really. What a burst of generosity from this unnamed charity.

My response?

Sorry, you lose.

The heartfelt form letter/donation form accompanying your elaborate notice-me gift just made me wonder exactly what my money would be going to. I'd love to give you something to help *insert cause here*, but I absolutely refuse to give anything to the cause of sending how many other people a set of Christmas stuff that they weren't expecting and probably won't even want.

What an annoying waste.

And do these ploys even work? Are enough people guilted into paying -- let's face it, it's paying rather than donating -- for unwanted packages like that to make it worthwhile for the charity? There must be, or we wouldn't be getting these "gifts". That's sad, don't you think? It just encourages more waste, and means less money going to things that really need it.

And charities wonder why people get gun-shy about handing over their money? Frankly, I think people should be.

As for me, I'll continue to give my meager amounts to a couple of local outfits doing local good, and probably throw a few dollars in the Sally Ann kettle at the mall at Christmas. At least I know they won't be sending me Christmas cards.

And as for the charity Christmas cards I already have, here's the kicker: I don't send Christmas cards. Haven't for years.





Sorry, charity. Double lose.

I imagine my wash is dry by now. Time for the next layer. I feel like being a petulant child and saying that painting is stupid, but  guess I'll save that for next time that I'm frustrated with my lack-of-skill. I'm sure you'll all be looking forward to it, right?

Yeah, right, Dee.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails