Friday 30 September 2011

Assorted random thoughts

And random roses. Obviously not a recent photo, but 'tis the season to start getting used to that. I don't mind fall, but I sure do mind how it always seems to lead to winter.

Anyway. Random thoughts. First, Random music. Or maybe not quite so random since Wheat knows why, but it's likely pretty random to my two fans.

Random news story. Sorry to any future two fans if the link becomes defunct. It's about Paris's new Bluecar program -- basically, electric cars available to be borrowed for short trips. You pick them up from self-service battery points and drop them off at other points. I'll be curious to see if it works. I know the bike system has, but cars? Seems another animal, somehow. And I just can't imagine it working at all here in Western Canada. We're too much of a car culture, unfortunately.

Random feelings about Blogger's new Dynamic Views option. I... dunno. I tried it out when it was still in Blogger Draft, and there's a reason that I never stuck with it. Sure, it's neat to be able to play with the way the blog looks, and it's nifty that my two fans could choose a different look if they wanted to. But... somehow it just doesn't feel bloggy enough to me, you know? It loses some of the personality... some of the weirdness I choose to put on the sidebar. And as far as the other blog goes, I just don't know if the whole idea works at all for the way I like to present things. I might play with it a bit on the weekend, if anyone pops by and wonders why things look weird, but I can't imagine sticking with it.

Random... oh, screw it. I may just as well post what's really on my mind so that I can get back to work. Today marks the twentieth anniversary of my first day here at the Nature Centre. I'm saying (well, typing) this very quietly because I don't really want anyone here to remember. The fact is, I haven't quite figured out how I feel about having worked here for twenty years. Or any place for twenty years, come to it. I mean, yes this is a good place to work (even my proclivity for inertia wouldn't last through twenty years in a horrible job) and I don't really have anything to say against it, but still. I'm forty-one. Twenty years is a pretty huge part of my life, and twenty years in the same job? Even if it's a good one? Is a looong time. And a looong time is something that I'm not exactly sure that I want to celebrate.

Not saying that I wouldn't casually remind this lot next week if I somehow change my mind about just letting the milestone pass, of course, but this is how I feel at the moment.

And with that random thought...

Later, folks.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails