Friday 16 September 2011

My weird workplace

I just interrupted a meeting. Slightly.

There wasn't any choice, because the thing I needed was in the room. And I couldn't wait, because I needed that particular thing right away so that I could show it to a group.

The meeting group pretty much ignored me when I came in to pick the thing up, but I have to admit that I caused a slight disturbance when I brought it back. I guess in retrospect it might have been a good idea to put it back in the bucket I'd used to transport it with rather than carrying it back barehanded.

They just weren't quite expecting to see the salamander, you see.

I suppose I should have thought of that, but I didn't. It's just not terribly odd around here to find someone walking around with a salamander.

This place is admittedly a bit weird, as far as workplaces go. Random salamander transport aside, things seem to happen here that you just don't expect to happen in an office setting. And it is an office setting, believe me. I'm sitting in a fairly standard office right now (if you ignore the fact that everything that usually sits on the floor is currently on the desks because the floor is still wet from Wednesday's carpet cleaning. Guess they believed in giving things a gooooood soaking). Desk, computer, phone, books, bunny suicide calendar, plastic glow-in-the-dark skeleton, foam disc shooters...

Ok, so it's a casual office setting.

I once took a series of office photos for the blog. I'm thinking that it might be just about time to do that again. It's been a while, and a few things have changed. Besides, I have a few new two fans (erm... that completely didn't work, did it?) who haven't seen the workplace yet, and who knows? They might actually be interested.

I'll wait until the floor dries, though.





Where was I going with this, again? Oh, right. Nowhere much. I can say, though, that I kind of forget how weird things are around here until something like a salamander sighting reminds me. I've said before that I can't quite figure out why I don't talk about work more in the blather, but I think the key is (or at least might be) that I've been here long enough that what seems strange to the casual observer is just part of a normal work day to me. So maybe I need someone to cue me every once in a while? You know, with a simple question or something like that. So, Dee, what exactly were you doing wandering around with the salamander? or Hey, Dee, why shouldn't I swallow the seeds from rose hips? or Dee, exactly how many dead things are sitting on your desk today?

There are answers to all of those questions, folks.

Mostly weird ones, but I'm beginning to think that it's just the way things go around here.

2 comments:

Sparroweye said...

What? Now you tell me don't swallow the rose hips. I have some beautiful rose hips. And I just bought rose hip vitamin C supplements. Are those safe. Hey, Dee, what do you do on a rainy day at work? Could you come over to my blog and comment on my creek walk. My two fans have both left me. Both Charlotte and DBFrank. Sob. My blog is so lonely. I have discovered I love the ocean more, now that I am in the mountains. figures.

deeol said...

Oddly enough, I go walking in the rain...

Rose hips are fine. Lots of vitamin C. It's not good for your digestive system to swallow the seeds, though. They're very hairy (that's why the hips got the nickname Itchy-bum Berries. TMI?).

Related Posts with Thumbnails