Sunday 16 October 2011

So I got this car... oh, right.

I used that title already, didn't I?

Oh well. Here it is (the car, I mean), anyway. Not a great photo, but I'm too lazy to move the thing into better light just for a blog shot.

Colour? Carbon grey, officially. Model? Pontiac Vibe (otherwise known on the internet car forums, apparently, as why the hell did GM stop making this car?). Name?

It doesn't have one. It's a car.

I should elaborate a bit on the name thing, really. I named my first car very facetiously, because I'm pretty much not a car person and also not the type who would anthropomorphise a car. A car is a car is a car, and as long as it's working and reliable (and, erm, not completely homely. Ok, I can be as shallow as the next person) that's as far as my thoughts go about it. When someone asked me what I called my first car it got a name on the spur of the moment. I told him it was Maurice because it was a Cavalier. Cavalier...Chevalier... same word, different languages. A play on words rather than a name, I guess.

Now, I'll admit that my second car had an actual name, but it was entirely accidental. Again, I was asked what I was going to call it. Again, I thought it was a car and didn't need a name. I said that it was Moe, simply because that was part of the dealer's name. Moe the car.

Moe the car became Dirty Moe over the years. I can be a little bit neglectful of car washing on occasion.

The new car? Does have a wheel (four, even. Five, if you count the spare) (and the wheel might look vaguely familiar. See? There was a method to the silliness last week) but it doesn't have a name.

Yet.

Judging by my track record, it'll have one eventually.

I've had a few suggestions. Wheat says Neo or Keeanu, since it's a Matrix in disguise. I...don't think I could drive a Keeanu. The Ontario office says Molly, to which I said that I don't drive girl cars.

Actually, I hardly ever use feminine names for inanimate objects. I wonder why? Even my plants have male names.

And yes, I'm just as serious about naming plants as I am about naming cars.

So what do I think it should be called? I dunno. It'll come if it's going to, I guess. I toyed with calling it Lionel just to see who knew their jazz, but I suppose that's a little pretentious. For now, it's the car. Or the debt.

Good debt, though, if there is such a thing. It was time for a new car. Dirty Moe served his time, but after ten years I think all I'm going to miss about Dirty Moe is (ironically) its name.







Incidentally, would anyone out there in blogland be interested in buying a used Dirty Moe? I happen to know where you could find one...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails