Friday 3 February 2012

I love a piano?

We have a piano at work now.

Every nature centre needs a piano, right?

Actually, my boss has wanted one for a while, and it'll get used. We have several people on staff who play, and members of the public are welcome to give it a go as well (google public piano or something like that, and you'll probably find instances of street pianos or pianos in other public places. Consider it art, if you like). We also often have functions that would probably be enhanced by music.

As for me, I'm... thrilled? No, that's not quite right.

I'm...

um...

I suppose indifferent might be a good word.

And why the indifference, Dee? You like music. You play the piano. You used to teach singing, for Whomever's sake. Why wouldn't you be excited at the prospect of sharing your talent with all and sundry?

For precisely that reason, actually. All and sundry. I don't like playing for all and sundry.

It makes me very nervous.

The fact is, I'm a nervous pianist, and not exactly a great one. I have small hands, I'm not good at faking a tune (very manuscript-bound, me, when it comes to anything but singing), and I really don't like playing when it comes to playing for anyone but myself.

All good qualities when it comes to rattling off a tune in the workplace, no?

I haven't touched the piano yet.



Ok, I've touched it. I opened the lid. And I moved the bench over a bit.

Yep.

Will I touch the piano?









Oh, probably. At some point. If there's very little chance that anyone's paying attention. Like, maybe when the building's closed, or when I'm waiting for an evening group and no one's arrived yet. Otherwise?

Well...

Does it count to admire it from afar?









sigh

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails