Saturday 25 February 2012

The single cat

Before I get to today's topic (ack! An actual topic?), let me present this almost-not-pointless shot hot off the camera. It's Huff the Car starring in What It Looks Like Outside Right Now.

And anyone who's read this blog more than a handful of times knows that what it looks like outside right now doesn't especially make me happy.

The snow's falling (you'll have to click on the picture to see the snow), the wind's supposed to be hitting gusts of 50 km/h later, and they still say that we're in for 10 - 20 cm in all. And me? I'm planning to stay indoors for the most part, unless I get absolutely convinced somehow that the world needs more pointless outdoor photography.

It'll take a fair amount of convincing.

Although...

I should probably at least take another shot of the car later on in the day to keep you up to date on the accumulation, shouldn't I? Call it the Car-O-Meter of snowfall, I guess.

----------

So, back to the cat. I'm sure one or two of my two fans might have been wondering how Max the Cat is getting along since Penny died. I wouldn't blame you for wondering. We got them within a couple of weeks of each other, they grew up together, and (what with the dog and Penny both gone now) it's the first time in his life he's been an only pet.

We're not counting the fish here, of course. Fish count as decor in my book, not pets.

And how's he doing, then?

Surprisingly all right. He was always a people cat, and now he's... well... let's say constantly a people cat. When he's not wrapping himself up in the bedsheets like he is in the photo he's generally with my father. Or with me when I'm here, but Dad's always been his first choice and that hasn't changed.

Max is a big suck, is what I'm saying.

He probably misses cuddling up to Penny on the bed (she was never given a choice as to whether she was cuddling up to him. He's a bit insistent), but he's not showing much sign of pining.

What he is showing signs of (as you'll notice in the picture, now that I'm mentioning it) is grease.

Apparently there was a lot more mutual grooming between the two cats than I was aware of, because Max is well on his way to becoming the oiliest cat you've ever seen. He's healthy-looking for an old cat otherwise; just greasy is all. I think I might try a dry shampoo at some point this weekend. I've been looking up home recipes, and it sounds pretty simple as long as the cat will put up with it. Who knew you could wash a cat with warmed bran or corn starch?

Do you suppose you could wash a person with warmed bran or corn starch?



Erm, just wondering on the last one. I'm not planning on giving up bathing any time soon. Still, it could be handy for the hair in a pinch if it works, right? And cheaper than the store-bought stuff, for sure.

Aaanyway. Like I was saying, the cat's fine. And old. And it'll be pretty sad when it's his time to go, but hopefully we'll have him around for a while yet.

And hopefully we'll be able to degreasify him as well at some point.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails