Saturday 21 April 2012

The new neighbours

When I was getting ready for work yesterday I noticed some unusual activity in one of the trees next to the apartment building, so I had a closer look.

Then I grabbed my camera and headed out onto the balcony.

What you're seeing there, folks, is the start of a new and completely against building code unzoned house. Apparently someone's moving in.

Crows, in fact.

You can barely see the tail of the one in the photo (you'll have to click on it to see it at all, really) as it weaves a stick into the scaffolding (as is were). I'm pretty sure that there was nothing there at all yesterday, so these are definitely new new neighbours. I watched them for a little while before I went to the nature centre.They were keeping up a pretty steady conversation with each other as one would work on building and the other would be on the ground looking for more materials. I couldn't get a close enough look to see if they switched places when the searcher flew up to the nest with its latest find. Maybe one's the master builder and the other's just a gofer? I don't know. I'll have to do a bit of research, I guess.

I have a feeling that when my human neighbours find out that they're hosting squatters, the authorities (that is, Animal Control/Bylaw Enforcement) will be called and this pair will be "encouraged" to move on, but I sure hope not. In the first place, crows are fascinating and intelligent animals, and the nerd naturalist here would love a chance to spy on their home life. Um, just as an aside, years ago we had a magpie pair set up in a neighbouring tree that's since been removed. It was fantastic. No, really. It was.

I suppose that before I get too distracted I should mention the in the second place, right? The second place is a pretty big one, actually. Having a crow's nest right there is very likely to keep the BLOODY pigeons away from our balconies. And yes, I can easily tolerate the sound of complaining crows over the sound of cooing (and crapping) pigeons first thing in the morning as they try to nest under my barbecue yet again. I'd like to be able to unbarricade the barbecue and actually use it this year, in fact.

Seriously.

Please, crows, don't let anyone talk you out of staying, ok? I want my summer to be entertaining and my balcony to be flying rat free...





That'll be it for today from Yours Typingly Challenged, I'm afraid. The wrist? Well, obviously sprained. Not badly, but it looks like this is going to be annoying for a while, unfortunately.

Ah well.

1 comment:

rishi said...

Nice job, it’s a great post. The info is good to know! sleeping music experience relaxing music (music for sleeping)

Related Posts with Thumbnails