Wednesday 4 April 2012

A note to my stalker

But first:

I just heard myself saying to Wheat that "in my tired brain we're now playing Find the Fish." Poor guy was only looking for his pen cap -- I know he wasn't planning on having that go unexpectedly Python all of a sudden.

I'm on the giddy side of tired right now, I guess.

Oh, and today's pointless photo isn't a recent one. Spring, as always, comes slowly to the Great White North (even if I don't live in one of the whiter parts of it) and to top it off we're expecting a major winter storm tonight.

Yay?

Yeah, my two fans can fill in the snit for me, I'm sure. You've all heard that song before.

Anyway. A note to my stalker, since Sparroweye has decided that's what she is...

And I hope she knows that I don't actually think of her that way.

Yes, it's true. I don't own a computer. I haven't owned one since the early nineties. I haven't really needed to, since I'm lucky enough to have a workplace that allows personal computer use on breaks. I check in when I'm at work, and that's enough internet for me. Well, ok, with one exception. I occasionally check e-mail using my 3DS if I know I'm not going to be in the office for a day or two, but that depends on how strong the WiFi signal is from the hotel next door, so it's not always a given.

Yeah, my toy knows how to borrow WiFi. Does anyone else besides me find that a little odd?

As far as other electronic gizmos... well... as I think about it it's kind of sad in a way. I have a cell phone. It's five years old. I like it, and it works. Besides, I'm not sure if I want to re-sign with my current service provider, so I've let my contract run out. I do have digital cable... but not a high-def television. I have one of the last-generation flat screen CRTs that has a far better picture than I'd ever get from whatever cheap LCD that I might be able to afford. And I don't mind watching things in letterbox, come to it. As I said before, I like it, and it works.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I just don't see the point in having to get the latest and greatest. Never mind the amount of e-waste that we as a society create (spoiler alert: it's a lot); the plain and simple fact is that I don't need that stuff. I just don't. At the end of the work day I don't need the internet or the 50" television or the smartphone or any of that stuff.

And since I don't have it, I don't really miss it.

I do well enough without it anyway. I blog when I have the computer time available. Same with checking tweets (yeeesss, I have a twitter account. I use it to follow people. I've tweeted a whole once myself, if you don't count work tweets). I'm not on facebook, so there's a whole big chunk of time that I don't waste. I don't need netflix, or to have a television that can check my e-mail.

So what do I do, then?

Draw, sometimes. Knit if I need a new toque. Read (but oddly enough, rarely about bugs and botany. That made me chuckle). Watch dvds or the Discovery Channel. Or Food Network.

Think.

It's a lot easier to think when you're not surrounded by electronic noise, you know.



And this has officially become a much longer blather than I was intending. Back to work for me. Ignore the typos -- I really am too tired to be doing this properly at the moment. How does it go? Excuse the long letter; I didn't have time to be brief? Something like that, anyway.

Later, all.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

Ha Ha I'm a stalker. I'm sparroweye63 on twitter by the way if you ever want to stalk me. I stalk celebrities, like Kristen Johnston, Rosie O'donnell, Steve Martin. And I have a few Uk friends on there. I enjoy it. I have no cell phone, all I have is this laptop. And I dearly wish I had never started using the wide web. I got a lot more done. Every day I say, I am quitting. My crochet hooks and paint await me here on retirement. I would love an Ipad only because my grandaughter has one. I want the ipad 3. Also for games. I keep hearing that Retina 3 commercial and oh,,, I want that. lol. Stay electronic free at home. I wish I had never started. On a bright note, the baby chickens have lessened my addiction.

Related Posts with Thumbnails