Sunday 25 February 2007

Pointless photo of the day:

At least from me. I'm not sure what the Toronto office is planning today.

And anyway, I'm not likely to call someone else's photos pointless.

----------

For anyone new to the program, your friendly neighbourhood OLF (that would stand for Obsessive Little Freak, a title I've been carrying around with me for... well, for some time now. Not sure who to blame for it) has a bit of a thing for pattern and shape in photographs. In my fevered little brain the extension cord seemed to be making a neat design on the concrete, and that's why it got its picture taken.

That's also why the vast majority of my photos get deleted from my chosen storage medium (otherwise known as my nerdstick) after they're posted to the blog. I don't exactly take these things in a bid for immortality.

I suppose you can understand, then, why I find the whole digital photography thing so great. I love being able to take whatever stupid pictures I feel like and not worry about the fact that I'm going to be wasting money on developing an entire film's worth of inanity.

For me, photography always was in conflict with my inner cheapskate. Intellectually I understood that the only way to improve was to take many, many shots and experiment with settings and set-ups, but I never wanted to spend the coin to actually do it.

I have a decent SLR film camera, you know. Minolta. Camera, filters, tripod, fancy-ass multiple setting bounce flash...

I've gotten so much more use out of my auto-focus digital.

Cost is one big reason, yes, but so is disposability. I could go out right now and take 1200 shots of one snowbank if I wanted to (and by the way, isn't it completely unbelievable that I'm not exaggerating when I say 1200? Especially when you consider that ten years ago I would have been carefully rationing a 36 exposure film?) and decide to off all but one of them once I've previewed them.

And do it without guilt.

Wonderful.

What better way to develop technique? Even if you're a film snob, you have to admit that the ability to try out 1200 pictures' worth of angles, lighting, and exposures has got to improve a person's skills.

I mean, if a person was trying to improve them.

Personally, I'm mostly just looking for cool stuff to shoot.

Like extension cords.






Hey, if nothing else I've given you your wtf moment for the day, right?

I live to serve.

1 comment:

smudgers said...

Oh, blame me OLF. I gave you GWK also. It's just SID automatically when a phrase is repeated. My brain gets in a hurry and reduces things to a common denominator.

Related Posts with Thumbnails