Sunday 7 September 2008

Happy election to you...

Sigh.

Election, yes. Anyone surprised? It's not like we've heard enough about elections from our neighbours to the south or anything. Just had to get in on the act, I guess.

Now, before anyone thinks that this post is going to offer an opinion on the actual campaign, let me state outright that I hate politics. Hate. Almost as much as pick-up trucks. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not apathetic. I do try to educate myself about the issues, and I do vote. Unfortunately, to do both of those things means you have to, inevitably, listen to politicians tell you what to think. That's the part I have no use for.

The only saving grace about a Canadian-style election for me is that I'll only have to deal with the rhetoric, whining, and finger-pointing for just over a month. I don't know how you folks in the States manage to put up with election campaigns going on for years, because I know that it would drive me bats and make me far less likely to care about any of it. I'd very quickly get to the point where I'd be wishing for everyone to just SHUT UP and get back to running the country already.

Yes, I know it's important to understand the different policies different parties intend to govern by. Yes, I know it's important to be given the chance to change direction if the country's direction needs changing (and does it? Hell, I'm not saying. My own personal politics are really none of your business). But here's the thing: elections aren't really about that. They're about politicians trying to make themselves the most popular kids in class. The sad fact is that in a modern, information-age election people are more likely to be swayed by whoever spins the best than by whose ideas might be best for the country.

Yeah, just try to figure out whose ideas might be best for the country when it's hard to even find the ideas in amongst the negative campaign ads and cults of personality.

Ok, maybe that last was a tiny bit extreme. Or maybe I was just thinking of those down south who seem to think that Obama is going to come forth and part the waters...

But hey. Let's talk about negative campaign ads for just a moment, on the off chance that anyone from the federal political machines stumbles upon today's blather. Would you like to know what negative campaigning does for me? It pretty much guarantees that I'm not going to listen to your message. Seriously. I want to know about your ideas. I want to know what you are going to do if I vote for you. I do NOT need to be told about how evil your opponent is. If I've been paying attention, I can figure how evil -- or not evil -- s/he is for myself. Having you telling me all about it just shows me that you haven't got anything to tell me about yourself.

Besides, it's all far too playground to be worth paying attention to.

Anyway.

This will likely be all you hear from me about the mercifully short election process here in the Great White North. If the Toronto office feels like talking about it she's welcome to, but I'm going back to being quiet and disgruntled now.

I'll let you know if I feel any more gruntled when the thing is over.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

I'm going with the dark horse. Obama. He won't win probably. For the first time in my life, I am joining a group to campaign. I feel this strongly about the man. He is our last hope.

The Saying: A DARK HORSE

Who Said It: Benjamin Disraeli

When: 1831

The Story behind It: One of England's most distinguished prime ministers, Disraeli was also a noted novelist and poet. In the second book of his three-volume novel The Young Duke: A Moral Tale Though Gay, Disraeli has his main character, the Duke of St. James, attend a horse race that has a surprise finish: "A dark horse which had never been thought of, and which the careless St. James had never even observed in the list, rushed past the grandstand in sweeping triumph." Today, the phrase "dark horse" is used to identify any unexpected winner.

Related Posts with Thumbnails