Monday 8 September 2008

Pointless photo of the day:

I imagine you could have predicted that I'd go two days full-on blather and then have nothing to say on the third, right?

Yep.

I could tell you about feeding the snakes, I suppose. I didn't feed them apples, in case you were surmising that from today's pointless photo. I did, however, feed Wheat apples. Or at least offered him apples. He did the feeding part himself.

My father has a couple of apple trees in his yard (as you do) and 'tis definitely the season. I have a lot of apples in my fridge right now. One of his trees has small, crab-sized apples that are nice and sweet but you have to eat a few to feel satisfied. The other one -- the one in the photo -- makes decent sized apples that aren't as sweet but are still good eating and would probably be great for cooking.

Not that I do that sort of thing, of course.

It's just a real treat to be able to pick actual apples in your own yard. This isn't exactly prime apple-growing country, and when I was a kid it seemed like all we had were crab apples. Nothing wrong with crab apples, you know. If you get a decent crab apple tree the fruit can be almost edible, even. There's not comparing it to a true apple, though, and the father figure's trees are finally mature enough that they're producing nicely.

Kudos to the agriculturalists who managed to come up with an Alberta-weather-safe apple.

Um... was I meant to be talking about apples?






No, it was snakes. Well, I don't really have much to say about the snakes. They ate their reheated mice as they usually do. Kind of stupidly, and without any utensils. There weren't any major disasters, however, and no one tried to eat anyone else.

A successful feeding, I guess.






I should end here with something about how do you like them apples (or mice), but I think that's too easy even for me.

Later, all.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

Reheated mice. I could have gone all day without reading that one. That would be kind of like when I was six and decided our old dog needed her dog food heated and I Put the bowl on the stove burner and blew it up. Canned dog food on the ceiling. It was not good when Mom saw it. Suddenly I am missing my mother terribly. I think it was the package of Aunt Irene's things that came in the mail.

Related Posts with Thumbnails