Wednesday 10 September 2008

Whinge alert

Nothing like truth in post titling, I figure.

So here it is. The start of the whinge, I mean.

The backs of my heels hurt because they're scraped raw. And my ankle? So not happy, as I found out when I took a little walk on one of the trails just now. And all because I had to dress like a girl yesterday.

I know, poor baby.

I had a meeting that I had to spruce up a little for, you see. Skirt, heels, hairdo... the whole girlie works. It's been a while since I've done that, to be honest. I used to gaudy it up fairly regularly when I was still performing, naturally, and when I was in university I used to wear skirts a large part of the time (although to be fair that was very definitely more in the casual, lab-safe, no-damned-dress-shoes sense of wearing skirts), but it became apparent when I stopped in at the office for a few minutes that people aren't used to seeing me that way anymore.

Want to get a reaction to clothing? Show up in a skirt and heels at a place where you're generally seen in a uniform shirt and jeans.

People were looking at me yesterday as though I'd just dropped in from Neptune.

Of course, it probably didn't help that I was all dressed up and... getting crickets ready to feed to the salamanders. Yeah, that might have had a little something to do with it.

I don't mind dressing up, really. It makes a nice change from the uberdresseddown way I tend to live my life since I started working here SOOO FRIGGING MANY YEARS AGO.








Oops. Sorry. That's a different whinge for a different post.

Where was I? Oh, right. I don't mind dressing up. Really I don't. My feet and ankle, on the other hand, are currently letting me know that they mind it.

A day (or even half-day) in heels when you're no longer a heels wearer is just so, so wrong. I understand that it's the standard thing to wear heels with skirts. Hell, I'll admit that even I like the way they look. But if Whomever had meant for us to walk around like that, Whomever would have given us Kevlar foot coverings and I wouldn't be walking around all bandaged up and throbbing right now.

Incidentally, the day after a day in heels is not a good time to find out that you have no large bandages left in your house. I am a miracle of gauze and tapework at the moment.

Anyway. Whinge over. I'm planning to limp over to the drug store on my way home (oh wait. Maybe I'll drive instead) to replenish the bandage supply, and at some point I'll possibly even make it to a clothing store to lay in a couple of new skirts since it became clear the other day that my current wardrobe is somewhat lacking (does one skirt count as a wardrobe all by itself? Maybe I don't even have a wardrobe).

Oh, but that would mean more heels.

Sigh.





Ah well, if it wasn't for whinges this blog wouldn't even really exist...

----------

Edited to add a word about today's pointless photo:

It has nothing to do with anything.

Thus: pointless.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails