Saturday 23 May 2009

We have found a witch!

May we burn her?

Ok, obviously today's pointless photo isn't of a witch. It's of a damselfly pretending that it's not there. They do that sometimes.

The reason for the witch reference (besides giving me an excuse to watch some classic Python... and, incidentally, now that the Pythons have their own channel at the Home of All Things in Plagiarised Video I feel much better about linking to Python sketches. Not that it would have stopped me anyway, but you know what I mean. Or at least I know what I mean, and that's what's important around here) is that I was thinking about witches as I was putting my hair up in its usual lazy weekend ponytail this morning. Not witches in the modern Neopagan sense, or witches in the traditionally-thought-of-as-evil sense. More in the stereotypical scraggly-haired wart-on-nose Halloween fashion.

You see, my mother was of the opinion that as women get older -- and especially as they get greyer -- they shouldn't wear their hair long because they tend to look like witches. Mom used to colour and perm her hair, but her daughter...

Well, these days I can look in the mirror every morning and cheerfully say Hello, Witch!

My hair, at the moment, is definitely long and definitely grey. Hmmm. Actually, not as grey as all that, really. It's mostly just grey around the fringe. The back has only a few intermittent grey hairs, and if I wear my hair down it looks like I just have some designer streaks (in grey. Weird designer, I guess) down the front. Compared to my mother at my age, I'm hardly grey at all.

If I wear my hair down. Which hardly ever happens, since it drives me buggy that way.

If I pull my hair back, you get to see my grey in all its grey glory. All its grey, grey glory.

A witch! She turned me into a newt!




I got better...

I have to be honest and say that the grey doesn't really bother me. If it did, it's easy enough to do something about it, after all. I've dyed my hair every once in a while in the past, actually, but that was more out of boredom than anything else. The fact that I'd generally do it with a semi-permanent 30-day washout dye should indicate that I certainly wasn't serious about trying to banish the DEADLY WITCHY GREYS!!!

It's grey. Whatever. And it would probably drive my mother nuts, but the thought of that sort of makes me smile.

Erm... not that I ever aimed to drive my mother nuts. I just think that it might have been fun to tease her about her witchy daughter.

As for the long part of the long, witchy, grey hair... I fully admit that it's a combination of cheapness and laziness. My hair grows stupidly quickly. Ridiculously quickly. If I tried to maintain some sort of style I'd be at the hair salon at least every three weeks to keep things in check. Who can afford that, for one thing, and who wants to hang around a salon that much?

Some people do, I suppose...
And I'm not judging anyone who does...
Really, I'm not...
I'm just not... the type.

Not that there's anything wrong with those of you who are. Seriously. We all find our ways to pamper ourselves; mine just happens to have nothing to do with beauty parlours.

Anyway. Some of my two fans will probably cringe when I say that I gave up on having a hairstyle years ago. Now, I generally get it cut once a year (twice if I'm feeling particularly ratty), enjoy having an actual style for a few weeks, and then just clip it back as it starts getting longer again.

I'm so not keeping the styling profession in business. Sorry, folks.




Well, I suppose that's about it from this particular witch. Look! Two blatherific posts in a row! This place might actually come to a point some day.

And then it would turn into a pumpkin...

Add a broom and a black cat and we'd really be set for October 31st.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails