Sunday 19 December 2010

DO 10

If you've ever looked in on the other blog where I put my doodles (check the sidebar, if for some reason you're curious now), you might have seen the scribble to the left somewhere in one of each doodle's corners.

No huge mystery to it; it's just my initials and the year. DO 10 is the closest I ever get to signing any of my artsy pursuits.

And why is that, Dee?

Well... I suppose it's me reminding myself not to take any of it too seriously. DO 10 is still admitting ownership (in a way, at least, even if it needs a bit of deciphering) without saying to the world that I AM AN ARTIST, AND THIS IS MY CREATION.

First of all, I'm not an artist. I doodle. Sometimes the doodles are fairly complete and get to call themselves drawings, but more often they're just little features of something-or-other that I've become interested in enough to draw but not enough to finish.

Story of my life in that last sentence, by the way.

I like to play with art, but I never want it to go much farther than play. I don't want it to stop being fun, or start being something that I have to do. And for whatever reason in my weird brain, actually signing one of my doodles would be dangerously close to not-fun.

Incidentally, I started joining up my initials not too long after I started learning cursive writing in elementary school. It was kind of fun to do all the loops that way, and I found out that I could make things out of my initials if I joined them. The owl's stuck with me the longest. Oh, just a second. I took a pointless picture of the owl too:

See? DO done grade-school carefully can make owl's eyes. Kind of neat, right?

Ok, so I was a bit of a weird kid.

Or a lot of a weird kid.

Anyway, none of this is leading to anything except that DO 10 will soon enough be turning into DO 11. And that means? Well, nothing but the end of the year, really, but since that human brain seems to be wired to look for milestones I just thought I'd mention one of my personal ones.

Besides, I really wanted an excuse to draw the owl again...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails