Friday 17 December 2010

Three wheeling

You know what bugs me about winter?

Ok, yeah. It might have been a lot quicker to say you know what DOESN'T bug me about winter? Let's try again.

You know one of the things that bugs me about winter? The way people seem to forget just how wide roads are. I'm sure you know what I mean  -- the first snowfall comes, and no matter how much of it there is (well, I suppose it would have to be enough to cover the roads) people all of a sudden start driving down the centre of residential roads instead of to their normal side. Or maybe not quite to the centre, but enough to the centre that there's one tire track down the middle of the road that's used by people going each way, and one off to either side.

People. Cars are NOT designed to leave a three-wheeled footprint.

What I don't get is why people do it in the first place. If it's a monstrous dump of snow (which very rarely happens here, thank Whomever) then, yeah. Make your way down the middle of the road as best you can. If it's not, though, stay to your own bloody side. Snowfall by and large doesn't suddenly shrink drive lanes.

The problem is that we're all such sheep. One person drives towards the centre, then the next person follows those tracks, and the next person after that, and a few snowfalls later it's impossible to get out of the stupidity tracks when someone dares to be coming from the opposite direction.

Personally, I try really hard whenever possible not to use the three-wheeled track. I have a fairly light car, though, and if things are at all slippery Dirty Moe (um, that'd be the car, for those new to the program) would prefer to use the same stupidity tracks that everyone else is using.

Ah, what to do.

Tomorrow maybe we'll discuss why stupid people in large 4X4s never seem to figure out that they should be the ones to move out of the ruts when a smaller car is trying to get through, but for now I'm in danger of causing myself a frustration headache just by thinking of it so I think I'll stop.

Both the thinking and the typing.

Later, all.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails