Tuesday 7 December 2010

Works as advertised

Another "this'll be quick" day. Boy, this working at work thing is getting out of hand.

And speaking of working...

Maybe I'm jaded (ok, I'm totally jaded), but I generally find myself completely amazed when an advertised product actually works as advertised. I'm not even really counting the infomercial stuff here because you just know that nothing can be as good as an infomercial wants you to believe it is. I'm talking about regular, 30-second fast-forwarded-through commercially advertised products. The kind you can find in your friendly neighbourhood supermarket. Or your massive, non-friendly big box terror, as is more likely these days.

I'm not that good with claims, I guess. If something claims to work miracles, then that something had better be a deity of some sort or other. And I've not seen many deities created in factories.

Imprinted on grilled cheese sandwiches, maybe, but not created in factories.

Well, with that kind of attitude you can imagine my trepidation at having to look for a carpet spot-cleaner recently. The spot in question was large, on the carpet in my rental apartment, and of the dark juice variety. Basically, your typical oh bugger situation that had me cursing my lefty physical ineptitude; especially when none of the usual hints in the "clean everything" book my mother gave me years ago seemed to do a blasted thing to help the matter.

So what else to do besides admit defeat and kiss my damage deposit goodbye? Look for an it works miracles! product and hope for something. Anything. I ended up buying something that claimed to work instantly on everything from pet vomit to set-in red wine.

Yeah, right. Take my money and run, then.

Ah well.

Figuring I couldn't do much worse than completely bleach out the carpet (actually, if I'd thought that through I might have just lived with the stain), I sprayed the crap out of the offending area and waited the instructed five minutes. And no, I didn't sit there watching. Spot removers aren't grilled cheese sandwiches, after all.

Five minutes later the stain was gone.





Holy Whomever.

The stupid thing that I'd blotted, scrubbed, and rubbed with assorted weird household items on the advice of a dubiously helpful book was just gone.

Product works as advertised.

Who knew?









Um... does this mean I have to start believing in infomercials now?

What about grilled cheese sandwiches?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails