Tuesday 19 April 2011

Cats in my ears

No, the pointless photo is not of cats. Or my ears. But I bet you got that.

And this will probably be short because I have work to do and yes, I still feel like seven kinds of crud.

Anyway.

I have cats in my ears today. Or at least in the holes in my ears. That's a bit unusual for me and my general laziness when I'm getting ready for work, but there you go.

Um, this needs more explaining, I suppose. Some of my two fans know the story already, so they'll just have to bear with me. For the rest of you...

I have two piercings in each earlobe. Never really wanted to -- I'd had my first ones for years before I ever got the second -- but one of my friends in high school had been royally chicken about getting her ears pierced and begged me to go with her. Not just to hold her hand, no; so that I could go first and if I flinched too much she wouldn't do it at all. Well, I didn't flinch, and for my pains (literally) I ended up with an extra couple of holes to fill every day. Not a big deal for a friend, I suppose, and since it was the eighties I certainly wasn't the only one out there with multiple ear piercings.

Also, since it was the eighties, it led to an awful lot of weird earrings in my life.

I still have most of them, and if I ever get around to the jewellery case cleaning I threatened a while ago you'll probably get to see some of them here. In picture form, at least. I don't think I'll be physically putting junk jewellery on the blog.

For some time I was pretty enthusiastic about theming my earrings. Sometimes colour themes, sometimes animal themes, sometimes stone themes... you get the idea. Then, when I was about seventeen or so, I spent a bit (or a lot, which is what it felt like at the time) of babysitting money on some gold, heart-shaped studs that were joined together by chains. It was a perfect way to deal with double piercings when I was in a hurry, because I only had to look for the one "pair" in the morning.

For a while I wore them only when I was in a hurry. Then I wore them a little more often in university because they were less fussy to worry about in the lab. Then I started this job.

And went back to themed earrings.

What? I was teaching nature to children. It was nice to have ladybirds or geese or frogs or whatever in my ears.

For a while.

And then I started wearing the chained studs again. And again. And again. And pretty much everyday since then.

It's a habit, obviously, and it's also become a complete default.

But today? It started with putting the silver ring on. Then I put my on university ring because it goes better with the silver ring than my gold rings do. Then I realised that if I was wearing silver-coloured rings and a silver-coloured watch, it might look a little lazy to put in my gold earrings...

See, this is what happens when I actually stop to think about what I wear.

I ended up wearing pewter cat earrings to work. Cat earrings that look like they're hanging onto my ears by their claws, naturally, because what would be the point of wearing normal cat earrings to work?



Are there normal cat earrings, really?

Oh, and if anyone's being even semi-interested in this nonsense, the cats are accompanied by silver-coloured moon studs that are basically acting as placeholders because I couldn't decide what would go well with the cats.




I think that this is possibly one of the most pointless blathers I've ever typed, you know. Yay me and the headful of snot.

And with that, back to work now. Catch you later.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails