Saturday 9 April 2011

Ring ring

Yesterday my father and I paid a visit to the town trade fair, where we bought beef jerky.

Not usually why a person goes to a trade fair, I suppose. But the beef jerky samples were good, so we bought some.

I also bought a five dollar silver ring, which you can see on my chapped little hand in today's somewhat foreshortened pointless photo. Incidentally, even for a lefty like me it's stupidly hard to take a picture left-handed with today's digital cameras. Didn't quite realise until now just how much I'd got used to taking shots with my right hand. I guess that makes two things I'm better at right-handed, then. The other? Mousing. I suck at using the mouse with my left hand.

Just as an aside, the nifty solar watch was a gift a number of years ago. If anyone's in the market for one, I highly recommend them. This one's been pretty slick even with my banging it about everywhere.


And as another aside, I totally don't have a thumb.


And as yet another aside, that second aside was completely not true.

Anyway, rings. I'd sort of wanted a new pinkie ring for a while now, but I honestly couldn't tell you why. I'm kind of weird about rings. I'll go months at a time without even wearing rings, especially in the winter (kind of comes with the whole cold rash territory. Ring + swollen finger never works out very well), and then one day I'll suddenly find myself in the daily ring habit again.

And as still another aside, the geers out there should notice that this particular ring is NOT on my dominant hand. Wouldn't want to be accused of being an engineer impostor. Not that anyone who knows anything about the iron ring would be fooled by this non-faceted cheap silver special for a moment, of course. But just saying. Oh, and for any of my two fans who aren't Canadian and are completely confused by the reference, look here.

So what rings do I wear when I actually feel like wearing a ring? It depends. I have a few. I still occasionally wear my U of A ring (I'd show you that and the other rings I'm about to mention, but they're at home. Like I said, ring-wearing is an on and off thing for me), probably because I went for the crest and whatever non-precious silver metal the company was offering (can't remember what it was called now) rather than gold and the cheap fake birthstone. Makes it look more wearable than my high school ring, which is gold and the cheap fake birthstone. Except for the birthstone part. My birthstone's not expensive and I was ticked that they wanted so much money for a fake stone, so I went with mother-of-pearl instead on that one.

Speaking of birthstones, my other two regular (well, as regular as I get with them) rings are both topaz, which is my birthstone. One of them is the natural orange colour, and one of them is that blue that you get when the stone's been irradiated. They both belonged to my maternal grandmother, and were given to me when she died. Kind of convenient that we we both born in the same month, I guess.

I have a few other rings kicking around, but they don't normally come out of my really-should-be-sorted-through jewellery case...

Hey. That gives me an idea. I really should sort through the jewellery case, yes. Well, maybe it's blatherable? Maybe I should document the contents of a case that's more or less a time capsule since it's so generally ignored? It'd give me something different to go on about, at least.

Yeah, this might happen.





Ack. Just totally lost where I was going initially with the ring thing. Ah well, time to go change laundry loads, then.

And try not to lose the new ring in the process, I suppose.

Type at you tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails