Saturday 25 August 2007

Lunch

Lunch today was frozen cannelloni.

Well, I guess technically they weren't frozen. I did nuke them before I ate them. They had been frozen previous to that, though.

By someone in a factory somewhere, I'm assuming.

Lunch is always a problematic thing for me. When I'm not working I tend not to eat lunch, and I suppose that's mostly because I get totally sick of lunch things.

What things?

Well, that's the problem. It seems like no matter what I eat for lunch I'll find myself bored with it.

When I was in school and taking bag lunches I got so sick of sandwiches that to this day I avoid them. Cold sandwiches, that is. Hot sandwiches are sort of in a different category.

When I was a little older I'd go to one or other of the local restaurants (it's hard to go to the non-local ones) regularly with my mother and grandmother. Grandma liked to treat us, you see. Unfortunately, it didn't take long before the thought of another restaurant lunch became nearly unbearable. Yes, I got so sick of the same old thing at the same old restaurants.

Now? Now I generally pack a lunch before I leave for work because a) I'm cheap and b) there are days when I can't get away for long enough to buy lunch. I try to pack decent lunches. Reasonably healthy. Fairly tasty. No sandwiches, true, but usually either a wrap or a stuffed pita of some sort to replace the normal sandwich course.

I am so sick of those lunches.

Today I started to get out the lunch-making supplies and I just... couldn't. I couldn't face it. I thought about bringing nothing and heading off to a fast food place instead (we actually have enough staff in the building today that I could have managed it. That's a rare thing for a weekend), but in the end I grabbed the aforementioned cannelloni from the freezer and headed out the door.

They were ok.

I'd be sick of them if I brought some again tomorrow, though.

[aside] Is anyone tired of me using the word sick yet? It's entirely intentional, if you wondered. I'm decent with synonyms if I want them, but this time I was aiming for effect. [/aside]

Lunch, for whatever reason, is just a massively unsatisfying meal in my world. Breakfast is nothing to write home about, but I'm usually too dozy to notice. Supper can be all right if I'm in the mood to cook, but it manages to at least be serviceable when I'm not. Lunch? One word.

Gah.





Kind of like this post, yes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails