Wednesday 7 January 2009

And the award for silliest hobby goes to...

Me, for watching award shows.

Or for taking pointless photos of snow on trees. Either works.

Back to the award shows, though. I've mentioned award shows here before. I don't watch them all, but I do watch quite a few of them. And yes, I will be watching the People's Choice Awards tonight. I won't be watching them with rapt attention, and I'm much more looking forward to the Golden Globes on Sunday, but the PCAs should hold me for now.

So, two things: why awards shows, and why should I consider it a silly enough hobby to merit its own award? Let me answer the second thing first...

I rarely, if ever, see any of the movies that are nominated for anything. I don't have anything against movies, really; it's just that I can't be bothered to pay that much money to see something that I may or may not even like. Occasionally I'll pick things up when they come out on dvd, but I can honestly say that I haven't been in a movie theatre for the better part of ten years. At least. And as far as television nominations go, well... I follow exactly two t.v. dramas and one comedy (which, after last night, even I can admit is well past its prime). I'm more of a late-night talk show and Discovery Channel kind of girl. Ask me about crab fishing. I can tell you all about crab fishing. And how things are made.

Ok, so I also watch the Food Network. I can't help it. I like Top Chef. And, erm, watching Gordon Ramsay swear. But that's a topic for another time. Holy Whomever, is that a topic for another time.

Anyway, that all takes me back to why awards shows, and the simple answer is -- my two fans will have already shouted it out -- the clothes. Oh my sainted grandmother, the clothes. There is just nothing like a Hollywood awards show to bring out the expensively yet horribly dressed ladies. Who obviously, obviously haven't the faintest clue as to how to move in evening wear.

Not that I do either. I had a bit of it when I was still performing, but I'm quite willing to admit that I'm out of my element in evening dress. The difference is that I was never (well, ok, maybe a couple of times) being videoed trying to pretend that I knew what I was doing in evening wear. And I was certainly never watched by thousands of people while doing it, that's for sure.

Ah, the clothes. Skinny women looking like train wrecks, and men in very nice suits.

I like a nice suit.

But I may have mentioned that once or twice.







Augh. A quick search reveals that I have mentioned it once or twice. Or more. I guess it must be true, then. And if I can find blather about it with a quick search, I'll leave you to search the blog yourself if you're desperately keen to know why I like a nice suit. Or several.

When it comes to the two above-mentioned award shows, I also enjoy the speeches. I certainly can't say that about every awards show, but the PCAs and GGs tend to have some entertaining blather going on. For the first it's because the winners already (for the most part) know that they've won, so everything's loose and not quite as frenetic. For the Globes it's... alcohol. But I'll leave that for now. I'm generally short enough on topics that I don't want to be discussing tipsy speeches until they've actually happened.

On Sunday.





We should have a viewing party.

With a drinking game.

I'll leave you to put on your thinking caps about that one.

I really should get back to work anyway. And maybe, possibly, make it to an actual full-sized grocery store on my way home.




Need some snacks for the award show, after all.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails