Thursday 15 January 2009

Stop it stop it stop it

My apologies for skipping out of the world yesterday. It was a combination of lack of sleep, crappy weather, and not wanting to be around people. I get that way sometimes.

----------

The back of my left hand (of which I am very thoughtfully NOT posting a photo) is currently a lumpy, scaly mess. And why? Well, because I keep scratching it. And why do I keep scratching it?

Because it's itchy, silly people.

I have no idea why it's itchy. It could possibly be eczema, but since I've not had it examined I don't want to jump to that diagnostic conclusion. I have enough allergy problems that it could easily be contact dermatitis of some form, but I'm not sure about that either.

What it is for certain is itchy, and I'm having a bugger of a time not scratching. I've been moisturizing like nuts (and let me forestall the overly helpful out there by saying that yes, it's a hypoallergenic non-scented moisturizer) and it's helped a bit, but I'm beginning to think that the only way I'm going to get myself to stop scratching when I'm not paying attention is to take up the full-time wearing of gloves.

Which will probably end up irritating the skin even more and I'll be itchier than ever.

It's not exactly the first time it's happened. Dry winter air seems to bring on random itchiness in a lot of people around here, and I'm no exception. My biggest problem, though, is that I find it so, so hard to leave well enough alone. When I get itchy it's easy for me to scratch to the point of removing skin, unfortunately.

And this is even with the world's shortest fingernails.

In case anyone's interested, I was also very much a scab-picker as a child. I'm a little better about things like that now, but all of this scratching is most definitely a manifestation of a life-long problem with keeping my hands to themselves.

When it comes to me, I mean. I don't pick other people's scabs.

You're welcome.

And I promise that I'll stop talking about scabs now.

Anyway, if the only subject I have in my brain to type about is itchy skin (and just on the one hand. That's very puzzling to me, you know, that it's just on the one hand) then it probably means that I should stop blathering completely for today.

Unless someone really wanted to know about itchiness.

Or scabs.

Yeah, yeah, ok. I really will stop with the scabs now. Even though they happen to be pretty fascinating things when you're not picking them off before they're ready to go...

Man, do I need a life. Proof? Well, stay tuned to the other blog in a day or so for the latest in Play-doh sculptures. Yes, I'm serious.




And how sad is that?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails