Friday 4 March 2011

Chapter 1301: Wherein Dee is annoyed

Gee. You never, ever get to hear about me being annoyed on the blog, now do you?

Sorry for the later-than-usual post. I was working at a school today, so my computer time when I got back to the office was limited to actual work.

----------

Today's pointless photo, by the way, was chosen nearly at random since I was too lazy to even click the Thumbnails button to see what the picture labelled Pinks looked like. I just thought that pinks might be nice on a day that started out with me scraping Dirty Moe's windows in a -32C windchill.

Yeah.

Believe it or not, however, that's not the annoyance referred to in the post title. Although... it was pretty annoying. And painful.

Anyway.

The annoyance of the moment is the continuing saga of having stuff stuck to my skin. For those new to the program (or for those who haven't heard the whole story. I kind of forget who knows and who doesn't), a while ago I got bit by a spider. Not a big deal, since we don't have any truly dangerous spiders here, except for two things. Thing one would be that my body overreacted, which isn't entirely unusual (unfortunately). Thing two was that the little bugger must have been carrying around an extra load of bacteria, because the bite ended up abscessing. In a big way. I don't think I described exactly how big on the blog because it's kind of disgusting, but suffice it to say that for a week I was carrying around an egg-sized, painfully swollen alien on my shoulder. And boy, was it fun when it finally burst.

That part I won't describe at all, in sympathy for the squeamish.

Now? Well, it's clean, it's healing (slooowly, but that part's to be expected given the size of the thing), it feels mostly ok... but. But.

But (the squeamish I'm desperately trying to have sympathy for should probably look away now) the fact remains that I still have a dime-sized open hole in my shoulder. A hole that, of course, has to have a dressing on it to keep nasty things from getting in.

Therein lies the problem.

Geez. Therein? Wherein? Maybe I should add a Herein  just to get alllll the antiquated vocabulary working together. And I suppose there should be a Forsooth just for good measure.

Where was I? Oh yeah, dressings. I'm sick to death of dressings. I'm sick of trying to put them on (positioning something on the back of your own shoulder? Not an easy feat, and occasionally requires the services of the wall to smooth down the edges). I'm sick of struggling to take them off. I'm sick of smelling like adhesive. And I'm sick, sick sick of having something stuck to my skin.

My skin's a bit on the sensitive side to begin with, you see. I have to be careful of the dish soap I choose and of some types of lotions. And while I don't have to worry about looking for non-latex bandages, I'm definitely finding that I have to watch what adhesives I use when I'm wearing stupid dressings every damned day.

Which I'm sick of, I think you'll recall.

For example, if a package of bandages says Super Strong or Long Lasting, this is not a good thing. Well, it might be for the occasional paper cut or hangnail, I suppose, but for long-term use all that's going to happen with that sort of thing is that I'll end up removing skin every time I try to unbandage myself.

Which, sadly, I managed to do this morning as I was changing dressings before work. Even with using micropore tape that's supposedly designed for sensitive skin.

Apparently not my skin, though.

Which sucks.

Add that to the whole issue of constantly having anything stuck to your skin (WHICH IS MASSIVELY ANNOYING ANYWAY), and... yeah. There you go, I guess.

I'd be very happy not to have a hole in my shoulder, thank you very much.






And with that, I should probably stop the blather and go ask my father if he has any thoughts about supper tonight. I'd say that this is the last you'll hear about me and spider bites, but we all know that it's very likely not true so I won't.



I'll try not to make it a constant theme, though.

You're welcome.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

There is this adhesive that goes on liquid and forms a seal. Also I like this http://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Waterproof-Assorted-50-Count-Packages/dp/B001CBDLX4/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2

They are waterproof but breathe and seal so good. I think the liquid is only for paper cuts. Lately I keep hitting the same spot on the back of my hand. I drove to the ocean yesterday. I forgot how good I feel with those ozones. I need to move there. My dachshund has been so sick. I think he may have an auto immune disease like Addisons or something. Skin, digestive, the works. Why me. Mutts are so much healthier.

Related Posts with Thumbnails