Wednesday 16 March 2011

Crickets

And this'll likely be short (yes, even after a few days off) since I'm busy at the moment.

Now, crickets. Today's pointless photo is not of a cricket because then A) it wouldn't be pointless and B) I don't especially like crickets.

They smell.

And they're not very smart.

One of the weirder jobs I have around here is making sure that the salamanders are fed, and the main reason why it's a weird job is because of the crickets. We usually buy crickets in a tub of about a hundred, and then I have to transfer them into the jar they live in (and sometimes die in, depending on the quality of the store's supply) without getting them all over the office.

Some days I'm more successful that others. Today? Pretty good. No crickets hiding in the office, and minimal stinky cricket poop on my desk.

Have I mentioned that I don't like crickets?

It's a wonder that I can deal with them at all, really, since they bring back my childhood entomophobia in nearly full-force. I've come a long way though, baby. When we first started feeding with crickets a few years back I had to get one of the other staff members to dump them in the jar because I honestly couldn't handle it. Now? No problem except the stinkiness. Well, nearly no problem. I still have a little bit of trouble catching the escapees, but that's more because I'm afraid of squishing them in my bare hands than anything else.

No, really.

Almost really.

But I do it anyway.

Ah well, the crickets have been dumped, the salamanders have been fed, the crickets have also been fed (yes, some of them to the salalmanders) and I need to get back to work.





Thus endeth the strange cricket interlude...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails