Saturday 5 March 2011

I really need to start writing things down

Yes, I know that it's rosemary for remembrance,  but I don't have any pictures of rosemary on hand so you're going to have to live with rowan instead (that'd be mountain ash for those of us on the west side of the Pond, but mountain ash doesn't start with an R. Um, yeah. Thanks for that, Captain Obvious). Rowan and some random insect that I'd forgotten was in the photo. I can't tell what it is from the thumbnail and am too lazy to bring the thing up full-size, so random insect it is.

These photos are supposed to be pointless anyway, aren't they? I don't know why I'm spending so much time fussing about it.

Oh wait. I do. It's because I've forgotten what else I was going to fuss about. Or at least blather about. I had a thought earlier this morning, but it's gone away now.

I've really got to start writing down these thoughts as they occur, you know. Just imagine how many I've got nothing iterations I could save myself if I'd just take notes when I have something worth blathering about. I used to do that in my last poetry phase, actually (yeah, my poetry goes in phases. I'll spend months or even years producing scads of bad poetry, and then it just simply stops. I'm in a stop now, if you wondered. Probably a good thing. Saves the world an awful lot of needless angst). I had a little notebook with me everywhere, filled with ideas for the next epic. Come to think of it, I was given an odd little notebook for my last (erm, latest. Hopefully not last) birthday. Maybe it should go into my purse. Along with the moleskine, sketching pens, daytimer, granola bar, cat-shaped tape measure, wrist tensor, cat's cradle string...

Ok, maybe not in my purse. There's enough weirdness there already. Although the contents of my purse -- which is a surprisingly small, surprisingly full purse -- might make for a decent post some time or other.

Anyway. I still can't remember what today's blather was going to be, so I guess I'll tell you instead about how I made the cat happy.

We're talking Max the Neediest Cat in the World here, for anyone of my two fans who are familiar with the household's cat population. Penny the Lump will have to wait for another day.

I know I've mentioned before that Max has a usual nighttime schedule when I'm here at my father's place. He'll go to sleep with my father, and then if my father gets up he'll ping-pong over to my bed. He'll generally do that a few times over the course of a night, and it's kind of annoying since he can't simply plant himself on the bed. He has to be acknowledged. We're talking full-on in-your-face staredown in the middle of the night. I'm heeeeere. Are you awake? Are you awake now? Are you going to rub my belly? Yeah. Some nights it gets a bit aggravating.

Not to mention sleep-depriving.

So why don't you just close the bedroom door, Dee? Well, that's what I did last weekend, now that you mention it. I was tired, I was still being very careful of my shoulder (AHA! SHOULDER MENTION OF THE DAY!!!), and I knew that I wouldn't be able to roll over into cat petting position anyway, so I latched the door instead of just pushing it mostly shut like I usually do.

I confused the cat. Oh, wait. That needs a link. Be right back...

I confused the cat. Which will keep him from being in a rut, I suppose, but did hurt his feelings a bit.

At one point during the first night I distinctly heard the sound of the full weight of a cat thumping into a door that he didn't realise was latched. He really puts his shoulder (or more likely, knowing Max, his back end) into things when he wants to get into a room, you see. In the morning when I got up there was a cat waiting at the door with a very distinct don't you love me anymore? look on his face. I got followed around quite a lot that morning. Didn't get guilted into leaving the door open for him the next night, though.

This weekend?

Oooh did I have a cat friend when he found out the door was open. There's a reason that one of this cat's nicknames is Sucky Bob.

Ah well. At least he's happy again. Now if I could only get him to be happy a little less intrusively, I'd be able to get a full night's sleep when I'm here.





That's enough blather for now. I need to go change laundry loads. Tomorrow? Well, if I think of something topic-ish I'll let you know.

Assuming that I've written it down somewhere.

1 comment:

Juniper said...

You see, this is why I am a dog person, not a cat person. A dog (if trained) will stay off the bed, a cat doesn't give a *** as long as it's getting its own way. When I was a teenager at home we had a cat, he used to climb up the wistaria and tap on my window with his claws. My dog won't do that. And if he did I could probably make some money out of the fact that it can climb up a wistaria.

Related Posts with Thumbnails