Tuesday 29 January 2013

Cancellations and weirdness

It was -26C with a windchill of -40C when I tried to go to work this morning.

Note that I said tried. Also note that I'm allergic to the cold (no, I'm not linking to it yet again. If you don't know already you either haven't been reading this blog or simply don't care. Either way, no link for you).

I went to the car, looked at the car, realised that I couldn't be outside long enough to clear the (admittedly, tiny bit of) snow from the car, and went back inside.

Then I called Wheat, who came and picked me up. The people I work with are pretty great, and extremely understanding about my weirdities. I don't say that often enough.

Well, actually, I don't say weirdities at all. I save that for the blog.

----------

Windchill that bad often means school bus cancellations, especially in rural areas where it's not safe for the kids to be outside waiting without shelter. The class I was supposed to be doing planetarium for today was from a rural school, so bus cancellation led to program cancellation. No skin off my nose, really, although I happen to like that school. What I don't like is being sore all night after a planetarium program, which is what happened yesterday since it's been a while since I've done one. I hate to say it, but I've definitely made at least a slight move into the old-and-creaky phase of life. It's all downhill from here, right?

Fan-effing-tastic. Gives me lots to look forward to.

One of the, I suppose, odder things about me getting ready for a planetarium show these days is the way I have to strap up. No, that's not as kinky as it sounds. I just mean that I have enough joints that need to be protected at this point that it sort of looks like I'm the world's most out-of-shape pro athlete. A pro athlete that's landed a lucrative contract with Tensor, though. Wrist brace? Check. May as well not resprain so quickly. Ankle brace? A given ever since I blew the ankle out in Grade 9. Knee brace? Well, ok, I don't have one of those, or at least not one I wear on a regular basis. There doesn't seem to be a point to it when the knee already sounds like a gravel pit.

I'm so off-warranty that it's not even funny.

Ah well. Creak creak moan moan, and now you know the main reason why next month's planetarium-o-rama will probably lead to either blog absenteeism or blog major whingeism. Maybe both, if you're lucky.

Back to work, now. Since tomorrow's planetarium has also been cancelled, maybe we'll whinge about the newsletter instead of the joints. It'll be a change, if nothing else.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails