Saturday 26 January 2013

Is that the time?

The morning seems to have gotten away on me somehow today. I got started later, I got caught up in some internet stuff without realising it, and I miss the cat (erm... that has nothing to do with the morning, really. I just miss the cat.). Now my stomach is reminding me that it's lunchtime, and I never did bother to come up with a blog-worthy blather subject.

That's right -- not even blog-worthy enough for a pointless blog.

What to do, then? Well, how about another edition of Weird Things in my Apartment?

Today's weird thing isn't so weird in itself. It's just a little weird that it got kept. It's a fairly small pin (remember, all of these weird things are being treated to a background of the fabric from my Ikea footstool. Think of that as not exactly as shown, by the way. Apparently they don't list the cushion I have on the website, and my footstool isn't birch. Anyway, it should give at least a little sense of scale), and as you can see the black paint has been rubbed off in a few places.

It's allowed to look a little worn, though. The thing's pretty near 120 years old now, by my reckoning.

I got it from my grandmother, and it belonged to her mother before her. I'm pretty sure that it's just costume jewellery, given the family attraction to that sort of thing that I've mentioned before. Given the time period there's a slight possibility that it's mourning jewellery, but it's more likely that it was just a black pin that looked good on a high white collar.

It also looked surprisingly good on a schlumpy eighties pastel blazer, which was how I used to wear it occasionally. Back in the eighties, of course. I don't tend to wear that sort of thing now.

Here's my great-grandmother, by the way. She died when I was a toddler, but I do have vague memories of her. Actually, I have vague memories of being dressed in yellow (not a big yellow fan to this day, me), sitting with an old lady, and trying to figure out what the weird inflatable purple rabbit was for.

Um, apparently it was Easter.

Anyway, the pin. I don't keep this particular pin with my other brooches, mostly because of its age and the whole family history thing. I really should take some shots of my other pins, though. They're mostly things that have been passed on to me from other family members since I've never been a big brooch buyer, and some of them are, frankly, hilarious. Hilarious gaudy costume jewellery would keep me from having to take winter photos for a while longer, don't you think?

Sounds enough like a plan that it'll probably end up happening.

As for now, however... lunch. Definitely lunch. I'll try to have a better topic tomorrow.



Or at least something more blathery.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails