Saturday 12 January 2008

Pointless recent photo of the day:

As of yesterday, in fact.

Yes, I did actually get out and take a few new photos.

It wasn't easy, though. Winter's so... boring. So boring that it's hard to overcome my indifference for long enough to take pictures of it.

Today's boring winter photo is of an excavated hole in an old snag that toppled over this fall. It was probably used by a woodpecker. Possibly a squirrel after that. Now it won't be used by anything except bugs, I expect. Not too many things want to nest in a hole that's now less than a foot from the ground.

Can you tell yet that I have nothing?

I was going to drone on about the textures in the tree bark and the contrast with the snow blahdiblahdiblah but I'm honestly lacking the energy to try to make an art object out of what is yet another picture of an inanimate object covered with snow.

I really hate winter.

And in case you're wondering, this is coming out on a day when the weather's pretty decent and I'm not, overall, in a terrible mood. I just find it really difficult to show enthusiasm for a dead season, that's all.

Hey, I'm a biologist by training. I like things that look alive. Give it a couple of months and I'll be boring you with pictures of every tiny green thing I can find in the yard. A month or two after that and we'll be looking at dozens of shots of the centres of flowers because they have neat patterns and I'm big on patterns.

Winter?

Winter has dead leaves and snow.

Bah.




Anyway, it's becoming painfully obvious that my usual trick of typing until something resembling a topic comes out isn't working at all today, so I think I'll leave off before the blog gets even whinier. Tomorrow's post (if any) might be short because I have something else on the go. Of course, judging by today's post that might not be such a bad thing....

2 comments:

Sparroweye said...

I do love that tree bark. I need a new life. Or a vacation to foreign
parts. I hate winters that are non existent. Think of endless summer.
It gets old after a while. I saw
a mosquito last night, IN JANUARY.
So, be happy. You could be sweating.

Anonymous said...

a mouse would love a sheltered hole within a foot of the ground. In fact I've seen nesting materials in deadfall with old woodpecker holes before.

Related Posts with Thumbnails