Friday 6 March 2009

And finally...

Yeah, this is the last old photo. I promise.

Oh, and excuse the flash. I wasn't about to take the picture out of the frame just for this nonsense.

So who is it this time? Anyone want to take a guess?




It's my father.

Aw. Isn't he cute? And you've just gotta love the good old-fashioned short-pants look.

----------

Anyway. I've got nothing but whinginess today, since yesterday's weather was extremely unkind to me. Yesterday, by the way, the 5th day of freaking MARCH, brought us blowing snow and windchills of nearly -30C. March. Riiight. This morning when I got up it was damned near -30C without the windchill.

March.

Riiight.

Now, normally on a day like yesterday I'd just sit inside, watch the snow fly (horizontally. This stuff wasn't even falling, the wind was so strong), and thank Whomever for the invention of the furnace. Yesterday wasn't a normal yesterday, though. See, I'm house-sitting (did I mention?), but this time of year house-sitting for my father means looking after not one but two houses. One of his neighbours is a snowbird, and my father collects the mail and keeps an eye on the place for him while he's gone.

This created a couple of problems for me.

First problem was that I shouldn't have even BEEN outside with that kind of wind blowing. I still haven't shovelled the walk (one of the few advantages of the wind was that the driveway very nearly cleared itself) because it's too cold for me to be out for any length of time.

The other problem was the superboxes... or Community Mail Boxes, as I see Canada Post is now calling them. We don't get door-to-door delivery service here, unfortunately. Mail is delivered to a "super" box (do you suppose sarcasm avoidance was the reason that they changed the official name of the things?) down on the corner of the street. Sadly, my father and his neighbour aren't on the same superbox, so getting the mail yesterday meant trudging up the (unploughed) hill to get the neighbour's mail, stopping briefly at his house to drop off the mail and check to make sure the furnace was still working, trudging down the (still unploughed) hill to get my father's mail, and then trudging back up the (unploughed! Did I mention unploughed?) hill to my father's place.

All of this led to me being outside far too long in too much cold. I spent the rest of the day feeling miserable -- and itchy -- and I still have the reaction headache.

Yippee. Happy happy me.

Environment Canada is doing its best to try to convince me that today it will warm up to -5C, but I'm still planning to wait until at least mid-afternoon before I so much as allow a single nostril to leave this house.

Hmmm.

Maybe I could just send the single nostril and keep the rest of me inside?





I know, I know. But a person can dream, can't she?

March.





Riiight.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails