Sunday 26 July 2009

Bed

But first...

I've had Eric the Half-a-Bee going through my head all morning and had to look it up. Found this clip too, if you need a bit of background.

So anyway, about bed. I'm house-sitting at my father's place this week, and when I got here the house was sitting at about 30C. That was... disappointing. You see, my apartment's been at about 30C all week too, and it's made it damned near impossible to get a good night's sleep. I've been waking up exhausted and sweaty every morning, and it's about as pleasant as it sounds. I was looking forward to a more comfortable situation here at the house, so when I got here and it was the same 30 freaking degrees that I'd just left I was somewhat... miffed, I guess we'll say.

However.

This house has a basement. A cool basement. And there's a bedroom in the basement.

Problem solved, she thinks. We'll (me 'n alllll the voices) just move into the basement room for a while. And that's what we did. With some completely unnecessary (and mostly unwelcome) help from Max the cat, I made up the spare bed and prepared myself for an actual, comfortable sleep.

I'm sure everyone who's ever read this blog more than once knows what I'm going to say next.

It took me a frustrating forever to get to sleep. Even with Max's unnecessary (and, yep, mostly unwelcome) help.

Max has apparently been a little bit lonely since my father left. Max is a pest when he's lonely. A cute pest, but a pest all the same.

And why so very little sleep? It was the bed, you see. There's not a thing wrong with the bed, but I've never slept on it before. That's all it takes, sadly. I could be in the best bed in the world, but if it's an unfamiliar bed there's not going to be much sleeping going on.

And that's exactly what happened.

Back in the days when I used to travel a lot more than I do now (any travel is a lot more than zero travel, right?) I always took sleeping pills with me. I generally only took one on the first night -- after the first night I was fine -- but on that first night in a new bed they were definitely a godsend.

I should have thought of that last night. Not that I had the option of pill popping since I don't have any with me, but if I'd remembered the old routine maybe I wouldn't have been so frustrated with myself for being in a comfortable bed in a cool room and still not sleeping.

Sigh.

Anyway, it looks like it'll be another day of somnabulism, more or less. Or at least that's what it feels like. Tomorrow? Well, I fully intend to sleep in the basement again, so maybe the second night will be more acceptable to my brain.




Here's hoping.






Cyril Connolly....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails