Sunday 12 July 2009

Something something green pepper...

I suppose that the something something could be the insect in the photo, since I didn't know what it was when I took the photo and haven't bothered to look it up yet. So why did I take the photo? I dunno. I thought that the something something looked neat sitting on the daisy, I guess.

That's pretty much the reason for most of my pointless photography. I thought it looked neat at the time.

That doesn't explain the reason for the green pepper you'll find on the other blog today (and I bet you thought that the green pepper in the post title was just random muttering...), but then I'm not entirely sure what could possibly explain that. Oh, and I'm too lazy to link to the other blog at the moment. Look for Shrubbery on the sidebar if you're desperate to see a green pepper.

I personally wasn't desperate to see a green pepper, and yet I spent over half an hour trying to paint one last night. Paint a picture of one, I should say. I'm sure it wouldn't take a half and hour to give a green pepper a coat of paint if you really wanted to.

Why you would I don't know, but maybe some of you are into that kind of thing.

Anyway, I decided yesterday that I'd use a green pepper as my Illustration Friday entry this week. That was weird. The fact that I decided to paint it rather than draw it was pretty weird too, but let's stick with the weirdness of the green pepper choice for now, ok?

Now, I know that people have been using green peppers in still life drawing (and painting) for ages -- you only have to google green pepper images to find a whackload of green pepper art -- but it's a strange choice for me because I don't like green peppers. I mean really don't like them. To the point where I'd have trouble eating a pizza as a kid if I could smell green pepper on it. Not if there was green pepper on the pizza, mind... if I could smell green pepper. Like if the pizza preparer had made a green pepper pizza before s/he made mine and there was still green pepper essence on the person's hands. Yep, I was that sensitive to green pepper.

Not that I'm allergic to it or anything. I just don't like it.

I've gotten a bit better about it over the years, of course. Now I can even eat a (tiny) bit of it if it's mixed with other really strong flavours like in ginger beef. Yay me. I still, though, can't figure out why people would choose to eat it in so many ways that cause it to overwhelm every single other ingredient in a dish. Raw in salads or subs? Ew. Stuffed? Double ew. I can't imagine using a vegetable that I hate as a container to cook other things in. The damned thing is so flipping strong. Can you actually taste anything but green pepper in a stuffed green pepper? Honestly?

So, yeah. My feelings about green peppers are about as strong as the taste of them is obnoxious. So why paint one? I... don't know. Interesting shape, maybe. That could be. After all, I don't particularly like wasps but I've taken my fair share of wasp photos.

I've never painted one, though.






Maybe I should.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails