Tuesday 7 July 2009

Rain

We had quite the rainfall yesterday. Probably at least 35 mm, and since it fell steadily over the night rather than in one massive downpour it might have even had a chance to sink in a bit. That's good. It's been really dry here.

Typical Alberta, though. We've been waiting for rain, but when it finally comes it's in July. Likely too late for most of the crops that needed it. Between the late spring and the lack of timely rain, I'd expect that food prices may be looking pretty scary in the next year.

Consider yourself warned, folks.

I was awake for too much of last night (I've buggered up my neck again -- yes, again -- and it was hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in), but at least I had the rain to listen to. I like the sound of rain. I especially like the sound of rain on canvas. One of my weirder things, I suppose, but there's a reason for it. The sound of rain on canvas reminds me of the tent trailer we had when I was a kid. I know that my parents weren't too thrilled at the thought of rain on the tent trailer, but since I wasn't the one who had to worry about leaks I thought that rain was fun. I have very vivid memories of lying back in one of the tent-wing beds and just listening to the sound the rain made as it bounced off of the fabric over my head. As long as it wasn't a violent storm the rain was incredibly relaxing, and to this day whenever I hear the sound of rain on a tarp or an awning or a tent, it's too easy for me to be taken back to comfortable feeling of that old Bonair trailer.

Hey, maybe that's what I need to get past this whole stupid insomnia thing. Maybe I should just string a tarp up on my balcony and sleep outside in the rain...

Or maybe not. With my luck I'd probably end up sleeping with the pigeons.

Hey, did I mention my surprising lack of balcony pigeons this year? It's been fantastic. I didn't know why I wasn't dealing with the usual crap machine menace until recently, but I was certainly thankful for it. Now I'm even more thankful for it, because it turns out that my lack of pigeons has a lot to do with the fact that there are peregrine falcons nesting on the hotel near my apartment building. Yay falcons. You can have all the pigeons you want as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a Bert.

Anyway, I think that's all I've got. Possibly more rain in the next few days, they say, so maybe we'll finally be damp enough for a while. I know some of my two fans are thinking that I'm all wet at the best of times, but I'm doing my best to ignore the hecklers.

Catch you later, folks.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails