Thursday 4 December 2014

Look, rocks!

I'll likely get out and take some new pictures once I'm a little more mobile, but for the next little while you're going to have to put up with the pointlessness of a few close-ups that I took of some of my rocks when I was testing things with the short lens a couple of weeks back.

For those of you who are already groaning about the thought of more rock talk, just consider that it's probably more easy to take than more gut talk. Although at some point we will be talking about stomas, make no mistake. Just not tonight is all.

Now then, today's featured rock, which isn't actually even a rock. This is Baltic Amber, and I bought it mostly because I've always wanted a piece of amber. A lot of Baltic Amber is found washed up on beaches and naturally tumbled, but I haven't a clue about this piece. It's just as likely to have been through a machine to make it smooth.

"Medically" speaking (yeah, that needed to be in quotes for me. There are a lot of unsubstantiated beliefs in the power of rocks out there, and just because I might mention them doesn't mean I buy into them), amber is supposed to ease inflammation because of the succinic acid it contains. It's said that the skin's warmth draws the acid out, and it's then absorbed by the skin. I dunno, really, but amber teething necklaces, amongst other things, have been used for years. Centuries, even.

Amber's also been used for many other medical purposes, to what effect I couldn't tell you. One of my personal favourites of the traditional recipes is to use a tincture of amber in vodka as a cure for male virility problems. Have at 'er then, guys. Let me know how you make out... literally...

Anyway. There's amber for you. Tomorrow? Ah, we'll see. I'm about done sitting in this chair for now, though.



Baby steps, Dee. Baby steps.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails