Sunday 7 December 2014

So when you find yourself wearing asbestos...

I said before that sometimes I'll pick out a neat looking rock without knowing much about it, intending to look it up later. With this one, though, I had a little trouble. My two fans will remember (and I'm too lazy to link to the old post, so use the search bar if you're interested) that I managed to forget the name of this specimen before I had time to research it, and that kind of thing drives my latent librarian absolutely nuts.

I have an olf need to catalogue things, for those new to the program.

Well, I finally found out that it's chrysotile, and that name faintly rang a bell at the time. No wonder. Chrysotile is a form of asbestos. Yeah, I thought that it would be a good idea to wear asbestos. Because it was kind of pretty.

The asbestos industry (especially here in Canada, unfortunately) will tell you that chrysotile is the safest form of asbestos to use, and some research backs that up. However, even if it doesn't cause lung cancer as quickly as the amphibole forms of asbestos, it's still a carcinogen. I kind of hate that my country has been one of the biggest lobbiers to have restrictions loosened on it just to protect a dying industry. And yes, I do realise that the industry is still very important to those involved in it, but sometimes you have to back down, you know? Just like I know how important Alberta oil is to the country's (and province's) economy, but that doesn't mean that I accept the environmental cost that the oil sands development is creating.

Aaanyway...

Here's my little piece of the asbestos pie, then. I still wear it, by the way. It's perfectly safe in this form.

And besides, you have to admit that it's kind of pretty.

----------

Oops, forgot to add the weirdness factor. Chrysotile apparently aids in divination and telepathy, helps you find your spirit animal and access ancient knowledge, and encourages honesty and sincerity.

It is used to treat arteries, abrasions, lung disorders, MS, and chronic fatigue (sheesh).

It can also give you lung cancer. Ok, so I added that last part.

----------

Lunch time for me, now. Things seem to be going decently at the moment, so I might aim to be down here doing a little doodling this afternoon. If it happens, you'll see it on the other blog. Erm, if I can find the scanning software for the printer, that is. Kind of forgot that I haven't done that yet...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails