Friday 12 December 2014

Something

 Or maybe nothing. I don't know yet.

I'm a little tired at the moment, I have to admit. Didn't quite get the sleep my brain wanted, I guess. Oh hey, speaking of sleep -- I'm thinking that I might try sleeping in a bed tonight.

Yes, yes, most people do, but lately I've been sleeping in the recliner instead. When I got here from the hospital it would have been massively uncomfortable to sleep flat, so the recliner it was. And has been since. I think I might actually be able to sleep on my side at this point, though, so the bed (not the futon, to those who know what I'm talking about. The futon's long gone and is now a click clack sofa bed instead) sounds like a possibility. We'll see how I feel tonight. It would be nice not to be bothered by kittens in their midnight rambles like I am in the living room, but since that can't be the only deciding factor, we'll see.

More baby steps, I suppose.

Oh, I should explain the picture. My uncle felt that since my father plays Santa for a number of events this time of year he should should have a proper reindeer car. At least you can find him in parking lots a little easier these days.

And now, rock:

This is Lapis Lazuli. I'd wanted a piece of lapis for a while when I picked this up. It probably stems from the usual childhood fascination with ancient Egypt (why does everyone I know seem to have gone through that phase?) and the use of lapis in jewellery and decoration. That lovely blue with the little glints of pyrite... who wouldn't want a rock like that?

Did you know that in addition to being carved and used for inlays, lapis was ground to make the pigment ultramarine? That's right, all of those blue-cloaked renaissance Virgin Marys were painted with lapis.

My particular piece of lapis contains a fair amount of calcite (the white bits) as well as the gold pyrite and the blue lazurite. When you wear it in a cage I suppose it looks a bit planet-like, as I found out when one of the nature school kids last spring told me it was like the wooorld (her emphasis. It was slightly weird).

There's a good cue to move on to the more than slightly weird:

I'm not sure I can manage complete sentences with this stuff anymore, so let's just make a list. Wisdom, truth, evil eye, inner peace, freedom from negative thought, good judgement, problem solving, new ideas, higher mind, knowledge, memory, spiritual honesty, calmness, communication, friendship, throat, heart, circulation, insomnia, infections, menstruation, migraines, autism (sheesh), clarity, connection between physical and celestial planes...

And on and on and on. Amazing, in whatever way you want to take that word.



Ok, that's enough of that. I kind of miss my rocks, you know. I do have my little amethyst tortoise with me (and one of the lab techs even noticed it. Turns out she's the type that carries rocks in her pocket... they're everywhere, you know), but I miss playing daily dress-up. And work. And people in general.

I'm never going to make six weeks, you know.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails