Monday 10 December 2007

Toys

I think I'll forgo a pointless photo today.

Oh, hold your disappointment down to a dull nothing, ok?

I'm not posting a photo because I've got a toy plugged into one of the USB ports to recharge, and I'm not in the mood to try to wiggle the nerdstick into the other one on the front of the computer. And if I'm not in the mood to try the other front port, you can imagine that I'm definitely not in the mood to bother with the back ports.

That'd take far too much effort.

The recharging toy, since you asked (you did ask, right?), is a key chain that displays digital photos on a very tiny screen. My father found it on sale and bought it for me on a whim. It's since been frustrating the crap out of us because it didn't want to talk to the computer. After that the computer couldn't find the software shortcut, and after that... well, you get the picture.

The toy gets the picture now too, finally. The father figure lucked into the answer this past week.

Oh, speak of the devil. The toy, not the father. It says it's done recharging, so I guess you'll get a pointless photo after all. Just a sec...

Or maybe not. the photo thingy and I apparently aren't getting along. I'll try again, although it's no big deal if you miss today's photo. It is, as advertised, pointless.

See? Told you.

Where was I?

Oh, right. Toys.

I have a few. Some that were given to me, like the newly-recharged photo key chain (which is currently loaded with pictures of spiders, amongst other things. Anyone surprised?), some that I've picked up on my own, and some that I really don't know the origins of.

Some of my toys weren't originally meant to be toys, like the blue therapy putty that lives on my desk at work, but they become toys all the same.

I'm a bit of a fidgetter, I suppose is what I'm saying.

I generally have to be playing with something or other while I think, or while I talk, or while I sit staring at the wall... yeah, you get the picture. My hands get bored easily.

Recently I started wearing a lanyard with the work logo on it instead of the thin little one I used to keep my nerdstick on. It has, unfortunately, become a toy too. You see, the old thin one tucked easily under my shirt, and it was very much a case of out of sight, out of mind. The new one's wider, and it's more... there. More there, yes. And it has more things to fuss with.

So far I've managed to break the spring on one clasp, and have hit myself in the face while playing with the plastic buckle when I was talking to Wheat.

He found it entertaining. Me, not so much.

Ah well.

I expect it's healthier to be fussing with lanyards or putty or tops or whatever than it was to chew my nails (which I did until I was a teenager) or draw on myself.

Yep.

Draw on myself.

I really have a bit of a problem, don't I?

Anyway, what with the holiday season here (and no, I still haven't done any shopping), my chances of adding to my toy collection in the next while are pretty good. Anything for a distraction, right?

I'm done now. You can go away.

And try not to get hit in the face by any flying key chains with spider pictures on them.





If you find one it's probably mine, though. Just so you know where to return it.

4 comments:

smudgers said...

Dad sure knows how to piss a person off. Clearly he and I need to talk more about toys for you.


See that huff over there? The cute little purple one? I'm leaving in it.

deeol said...

My poor innocent father. The man's just never met a bargain bin he didn't like...

smudgers said...

... and to rub it in further, he got a bargain.


You two can make a person ... erm... cranky.

Anonymous said...

I'm just sad I missed the lanyard in the face moment

Related Posts with Thumbnails