Sunday 2 March 2008

Just another day in the back alley

Story, with pictures:

Hey. That's fresh deer scat (yes... I did have a picture of this part. Decided against posting a pointless poop photo).

Hey. That's a fresh deer track:



Hey. That's a fresh...



Well, hey. That would explain the other bits.

Yep, I was accidentally playing stupid deer games yesterday. Stupid as in I probably shouldn't have been so close, but this particular group of mulies is getting almost frighteningly used to being watched. I suppose it figures -- they are, after all, hanging out right in the middle of town.

Incidentally, that's why I decided not to crop the second photo. I thought that seeing the houses in the background would give you the idea that I wasn't exactly out in the country when I took the shot. Click on the photo for the full-sized version of a young deer who thought it would be a good idea to come have a closer look at the idiot with the camera.

The rest of the group, including mom, was just over to my left. You'll probably see more of them tomorrow, depending on what I feel like posting.

My father lives in a rural town, but he very definitely lives in town. These deer are making use of a vacant lot behind my father's place that's never been cleared. It's sort of an accident of urban planning, actually. Not really on a main road, and the people who own it have never done much with it.

A small lot like that is a perfect example of how little green space it takes to attract wildlife. The place is absolutely full of birds every spring and summer, and the deer take it over in the winter. It used to be a real playground for my brother and me when we were kids, as well.

I'm undecided as to whether we counted as wildlife.

Of course, an isolated green space with no way to move into it isn't a perfect spot. Food and shelter are pretty limited, and over time the populations of animals living there can become inbred and unhealthy. Give the animals a way to migrate from green space to green space, though, and a small lot like this one can be an important part of the habitat.

Gah. I'm beginning to sound like I'm delivering a program at work. Must be the hint to stop typing. If you're interested in green spaces and the island effect I'm sure you're just as capable as I am of using your favourite search engine and doing some reading.

I'll take questions later.

Go back and look at the deer now.

----------

One last thing before I stop blathering: have you noticed how I haven't mentioned a single thing about the provincial election on Monday?






Yeah.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails