Monday 17 March 2008

Something about green something or other

Sorry. I don't have any shamrocks on my nerdstick. The kenilworth ivy will have to do.

So, since this is the day when everyone seems to be stretching their heritage to the breaking point in order to prove that they're Irish, why should I be any different? Here it is, then:

I have exactly one Irish great-great-grandmother. Or had. She's not been in existence for quite some time now, but she used to be.

For anyone keeping track, I can also prove myself to be a little bit Welsh, a bit more French Huguenot, a fair bit more Ukrainian, and a whole whack of English.

Not that you cared, of course. I just thought I should be upfront about the whole Irish thing.

I am wearing green at the moment, but it wasn't a terrible stretch to put on my green UNIFORM shirt the way I do most work days. Does that count as being in the spirit of the day? I could have worn my beige shirt instead, after all.

And how am I planning to celebrate? Well, I did try to convince Wheat that we need to lay in some Guinness for this afternoon's staff meeting. He, actually, was all for it. And it'd make staff meetings a little bit more tolerable for my short attention span, really.

Our staff meetings aren't all that bad, if I want to be entirely truthful. It's just that I generally only have a small window of time in them before I start doodling or staring out the window or making smartarse comments that probably annoy the hell out of everyone. And why do I do this when I know it's annoying? To keep myself awake. That's all. I'm a five-year-old.

By the way, since I brought up Guinness I should mention that I'm very much not a beer drinker (never developed the taste for it) but for whatever reason I don't mind the occasional pint of stout. Why someone who doesn't particularly like beer should want to drink stronger-tasting beer is a bit confusing even to me, but it's the fact.

Another fact is that I'm out of stuff. Just as well -- I should get back to work.





Oh, and do I get extra points for writing an entire St Patrick's Day blather without mentioning St Patrick's Day until the end of the post? I think I should.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails