Sunday 30 March 2008

Pointless photo but this time you should pay attention of the day:

Hey, you want to know what drives me nuts?

Sure you do.

What drives me nuts is having a day to turn off the lights to make an environmental point and then celebrating by having big concerts (hello? sound systems, mass consumption), downtown parades (let's all protect the environment by driving our vehicles around for a while), or any other number of stupid activities that pretty much negate any good you did by turning off the lights in the first place.

Yep, made a lot of sense to me.

The misuse of the word ecology also drives me nuts (you can't protect the ecology, folks), but that's a topic for another day because I'm not in the mood to discuss semantics.

The above sort of makes it sound like I'm not in the mood to discuss much of anything, doesn't it?

----------

Let's talk about the pointless photo, then. Yes, we're actually going to talk about it.

Is anyone wondering why I even bothered to take today's photo? I ran it through an edge enhancer to give a little bit of a hint, but even then I'd imagine that most of the people who stumble upon that picture will have a slight moment of WTF and then move on.

That's ok, you know. I don't mind.

I don't expect other people to see things the way that I do. In fact, given how nearsighted I am it'd probably be better for the world in general if you didn't see things the way that I do.

I did want to remind anyone new to the program, though (my two fans have already heard all about it), that I'm often not so much taking pictures of things as much as I'm taking pictures of shapes. Lines. Patterns. Or even more fun, negative space.

I guess what I'm saying is that the wonderful world of cheap digital photography has allowed me to indulge myself (and you poor innocent bystanders) in my pleasure for seeing the world in abstracts.

The funny thing is, when I was younger (and I'm not talking child-younger here) I had very little use for abstracts in art. Extreme abstraction especially. I mean, what's the point in drawing/painting/sculpting something if it ends up looking like nothing?

Well, I can't say I've figured it out for the art world in general, but as for me and my camera I've found that when familiar things start looking unfamiliar you notice things about form and structure that you might not have noticed before.

I like that.

But then I also have this slightly OLF thing about pattern and the like. I'm not sure if I've mentioned that part.

Anyway, I'm not planning to come to any grand conclusions or anything like that today. It is, after all, the weekend. In the end, the bare branches of the apple tree got their picture taken yesterday because I liked the lines that they formed.

The end.

And this, by the way, is why I'm not an artist. I'm not good enough at finding BS reasons for my "art" to be able to sell it to anyone.





Not that that's what artists do, of course. Or at least it's not all that they do...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails