Friday 16 May 2008

Line

I should make it clear that this photo was from last spring. I'll learn this weekend whether or not the deer have allowed my father to have any tulips this year.

I have a bit of a thing for tulips, lilies, and other flowers of that type. It's the lines, you see. Good, strong lines. Lines that let you play around with shading and all kinds of weird things if you happen to be drawing flowers.

I do that sometimes. In fact, I've really got to get off my lazy behind and start doing it again soon. We've got this thing coming up at work and... oh, more details as it gets closer and I start to panic about it. Let's just say for the moment that I really should start drawing again.

There's a lot of fun to be had with more complex-looking flowers, of course. I'm a big fan of flowers in general. Strong lines simply strike a chord for me, that's all.

I think it started when I began to see things in a more abstract fashion. It's a little odd when you hit the point in your... oh, shall we say cultural maturity? Nah, that doesn't sound right. Far too uppity. Maybe I'll start that thought again and say that I never used to like abstracts in art -- I was always much more impressed by hyper-realism -- but somewhere along the line my brain figured out a way to appreciate the type of interpretation of the world that you can only find in abstracts.

Some abstracts.

I'm not ever going to manage to become a fan of painting three stripes on a canvas and then selling it for millions of dollars. Call me a philistine, but I have my limits on appreciation.

Anyway, I started this entry late and I really should get back to work. Let's cut things extra-short then and say that strong lines in flowers seem to give the brain scope to manoeuvre. For me, at least. I can't speak for anyone else.

Reading this back, apparently I can't even speak for myself today. I'll maybe try to give this topic a more thorough go on the weekend.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails