Wednesday 16 September 2009

How I spent an hour of my day



First I watched this fly over my home on its way to Trenton Air Base.














Then I went to this bridge and hung out with a group of really nice people from the place I live now. Note the first person to the left in the photo. He's talking to a war vet. I'm pretty sure I heard a reference to WW2. It was one of the most touching scenes of mutual respect I've witnessed in some time.















This is a photo of just two of the Fire teams that showed up. They've obviously done this far too many times; they didn't even speak. They got out of their seats, put things in order and stood perfectly still for over half an hour, waiting. Behind me but not in a photo I'll include here were many Emergency Response vehicles and OPP cruisers.

Down the way were a dozen guys and gals from the Legion in my newly-adopted town. They were in dress uniform, white gloves and all.... and presented colour when the procession passed below us. They were all in their seventies and eighties.






It's not necessary to show you the line of vehicles that quickly passed by with the family inside, as I'm sure it will be in the papers tomorrow and I've already taken up a good deal of space with these photos.

The family waved to us, the people standing on the bridge to let them know people care.





And without going into the conversation I had with the lady standing next to me whose son is trying to transfer into the infantry to be assigned, that is how I spent about an hour of my day.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails