Monday 24 May 2010

If small things in life make you happy


...then you'll be just over the moon about the bird. How nice of this particular one to perch on the better (read: more expensive and least tacky) of the three feeders I have for them out there. Sadly, said feeder is hanging in a Weeping Mulberry which I think will be hacked down in the Fall as it's on its last limbs. It's shedding its bark the same way people shed skin after a bad sunburn and there's not a whole lot of foliage on the one portion. I'm guessing that's not a good sign.

So, yes as the OLF mentioned above, it is the May two-four weekend. Most of my plants have been in the ground for two weeks or more and the two Red Maple trees were planted the last week of April - er, I think. That was a process my mind doesn't want to revisit, apparently. The trees are amazing. I love them truly, madly, deeply. There is just something about the majesty of Red Maples. Oh I do go on, don't I. And that, Your Honour, is why She should never have given me the blog password.

Anyway, red cedar mulch went on top of the whole lot to protect and help foster along all of the cash I planted.... er, plants I lovingly arranged. And do you know what happens when you also remember to turn the hose on? It all perks up and looks downright healthy - that is, when you point the hose spouting water at the greenery. I'm just sayin'....

This is a new abode, you'll remember, if you've been following along and the terrain here is sandy; sandy as in dump the (insert name of the best vacuum on the market here) 's cannister over the side deck as it picks up more sand than anything, and the birds use the dog hair for their nests anyhow. Oh yes, the point. There was a point. I've never gardened in a sand base so this is going to be darn near as interesting as what the heck the OLF is going to be nurturing on her balcony.

And before this turns into a post about something positive, I shall take my leaf.

2 comments:

Raluca said...

OMG!!is this a real hummingbird,the one who came to the ''restaurant''?What a sweet(and special) visitor!!!

smudgers said...

Very real ... and one of the four who are "regulars" so far. I need to get teeny, tiny menus printed maybe....

Related Posts with Thumbnails